New to turkeys question on health

Isaiah53

Songster
Jan 8, 2018
Osoyoos BC Canada
So we purchased a farm last November. The previous owner left behind 35 chip 4 ducks 2 turkeys and 3 peafowl.

About 3 days ago I noticed one hen turkey was coming up to me and lying down on the ground. She seemed fine but not as active, she was eating and drinking. I noticed her wings were a bit droopy but not enough to draw my concern. Today my husband said he saw her lying alone in the yard on the snow. I went to visit her and she stayed still I also noticed her head was blue. She wasn't as active either but still eating.

I'd say she's just around 10 lbs, so my husband and I went up and gave her some tylan 200 (just under 1 ml). I also gave her some Vetrx in case of respiratory problems (she sounded fine) but she did feel very warm.

Is it normal for a hen to turn blue? Did I do the right thing by giving her antibiotics and if so, how many more days should I give her tylan? Should I separate her from the rest of my poultry?

Any advice is appreciated.

This was her a couple of days ago. Today her head was quite blue. Noticeably blue.

Attachments

• 20180313_165637.jpg
    20180313_165637.jpg
    566 KB · Views: 6
  • 20180313_165627.jpg
    20180313_165627.jpg
    903.9 KB · Views: 6
So we purchased a farm last November. The previous owner left behind 35 chip 4 ducks 2 turkeys and 3 peafowl.

About 3 days ago I noticed one hen turkey was coming up to me and lying down on the ground. She seemed fine but not as active, she was eating and drinking. I noticed her wings were a bit droopy but not enough to draw my concern. Today my husband said he saw her lying alone in the yard on the snow. I went to visit her and she stayed still I also noticed her head was blue. She wasn't as active either but still eating.

I'd say she's just around 10 lbs, so my husband and I went up and gave her some tylan 200 (just under 1 ml). I also gave her some Vetrx in case of respiratory problems (she sounded fine) but she did feel very warm.

Is it normal for a hen to turn blue? Did I do the right thing by giving her antibiotics and if so, how many more days should I give her tylan? Should I separate her from the rest of my poultry?

Any advice is appreciated.
Why do people who don't know about bird behavior immediately medicate when they don't know whether or not anything is wrong? As @memphis and @feedman77 both pointed out this is normal hen behavior during mating season. You should not have given the turkey any medication. She is not sick.

Why do people who don't know about bird behavior immediately medicate when they don't know whether or not anything is wrong? As @memphis and @feedman77 both pointed out this is normal hen behavior during mating season. You should not have given the turkey any medication. She is not sick.

Please consider the timeline. I only just saw these responses. I gave this to her when it was late last night and I wasn't sure if she was sick or not. I did not want to risk waiting another day if she was sick. The consensus on another forum is split that it could be black head or Coccidiosis OR might be Mating.

I guess my alternative as someone who doesn't "know about bird behaviour" was to let her continue on and IF she was sick die without trying anything. I chose to go the route of using an antibiotic until I knew more today. My apologies if my lack of knowledge and decision offends you.

She is wanting a Tom to mate with.

There head and neck to a certain extent will change colors depending on the mood the are in.

Is she laying eggs?

Thank you for your kind response. No, she's not laying eggs. Her face is blue/grey today. I had spent hours online yesterday looking for information on hens and their habits and faces changing colours, I only saw it applied to males, so thank you for that information.

Her companion is doing the same thing today, but her face is not blue. They're eating and drinking, it was suggested that I give them something for black head and Coccidiosis. What are your thoughts on that?

Thank you for your kind response. No, she's not laying eggs. Her face is blue/grey today. I had spent hours online yesterday looking for information on hens and their habits and faces changing colours, I only saw it applied to males, so thank you for that information.

Her companion is doing the same thing today, but her face is not blue. They're eating and drinking, it was suggested that I give them something for black head and Coccidiosis. What are your thoughts on that?
How does her poo look? If she has Blackhead her poo will be runny with bright yellow urates. If she has cocci it will be at least runny, and more then likely have some blood in it too.

I would not personally.
Blackheads is soil Bourne. If it's there it will be there. To see if it is a problem in your area check with your local extension office.

Cocci has some symptoms that will show. Listlessness, head pulled in, standing with feathers ruffled, eyes closed, wings dropped. But most times by the symptoms show for this it is fatal.

Back
Top Bottom