New to turkeys...

Mosti

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Malta, Europe
Hi, I have bought 5 day olds a couple of days ago, put them on pine shavings and they started to eat it instead of the turkey starter crumbs
idunno.gif
I removed the wood shavings and spread some news paper. Now they are seemingly eating and drinking well.
Do you suggest any particular points/hints?
What about heat? Till what age do they need it?
Thanks.

They need to bring the heat down 5 degrees a week, from there brooding temp. Generally you start at around 98 to 95 degrees and slowly bring the temp down as they feathers out.

You do need to have room in your brooder so they can move way from the heat if they get to hot. The poults will tell you if it's to hot or cold.

It can take about 5 to 6 weeks until they have enough feathers. It not a set time it's more like watching them until they are feathers out.

Tom

It also will depend on your weather and how many birds you have....they can huddle together to stay warm, a small lite-bulb above them would be enough heat....keep them dry for rain would be their worse enemy...with real young birds I sacrifice an old towel for them to walk on for the first two weeks of ownership, that way they don't get leg problems...just remember to have fun raising them.

Sometimes they get picky about eating and you can get "starve outs"...
I have encouraged my poults in the brooder to eat more with wet feed, cooked egg yolk and chopped up grass and clover leaves. Place food on your finger to imitate momma hen and they will usually take it. good luck!

Thankyou to all of you. One last question. Is their slightly wobbly standing normal when compared to chicken's chicks?

caf.gif

I removed the wood shavings and spread some news paper.

It is better to use paper towels for the first week instead of newspaper, because news paper is slippery and will lead to spraddle leg after a week you can then put them back on the shavings and they will do fine after they know what to eat and drink.​

:
Quote:
It is better to use paper towels for the first week instead of newspaper, because news paper is slippery and will lead to spraddle leg after a week you can then put them back on the shavings and they will do fine after they know what to eat and drink.

Thats what I did now, I put then on straw and shavings keeping a watchful eye on them to see what they eat.....seems turkey crumbs till now...
smile.png

Quote:
It is better to use paper towels for the first week instead of newspaper, because news paper is slippery and will lead to spraddle leg after a week you can then put them back on the shavings and they will do fine after they know what to eat and drink.

I agree with this! I had a couple do this on paper and caught soon enough luckily

Back
Top Bottom