New to Wisconsin & Chickens!

Thanks so much everyone! My chicks are here and alive!

When I was in panic mode calling everyone along the USPS route, the first lady said that Meyer shipped the chicks a few minutes after the Monday cutoff, so they were scheduled to leave Cleveland Tuesday. Then they were in limbo with Fedex until they finallllllly showed up this morning! One of the USPS ladies guessed that maybe an original flight had dry ice and FedEx may have had to wait for the next one.

I'm copy/pasting this bit from another thread I replied in haha:

When we opened the box at the office, we were pretty positive that 2 were DOA and the lady kept apologizing on behalf of USPS. They were cold and unresponsive and kinda stiff and didn't look like they were breathing. Just for kicks, I stuck them under the heat lamp and dropped a tiny bit of electrolyte water on their beaks. They both breathed! One started doing the death gasp thing and I was sure she was a goner, but I kept bothering them with another drop of water every few minutes. They both perked up! Now the death rattle one is hogging the food dish and the other is cuddling with another. I'm not sure they're in the clear yet, but for now, they're all alive 🤞🤞🤞

I'm definitely going to look for someone more local instead of having the goslings shipped later this month, because I dunno if I can handle this stress again haha.
That's terrific news 😁 I'm so glad they finally made it and your working magic on the two chicks :hugs Please keep us updated on their progress.

Reminds me of the trials and tribulations of when I was breeding Cockers and shipping. One puppy was left out on a loading dock in WINTER - the buyer and I were both crying we were so upset and sure he had perished. Thankfully he was alive and well and went on to become a champion for them.

Welcome to BYC!!
Depending on where you are in Wisconsin, we have lots of options to purchase chicks.
The poor silver laced wyandotte died and the rest are still iffy, so please tell me more! I'm between Manitowoc & Green Bay. We're heading to Tractor Supply and Fleet Farm today to see what they've got but I'd really rather get chicks that haven't had to be shipped at all.

Back
Top Bottom