New. Totally New

CoffeeKat

Chirping
Jul 29, 2021
Southeast Tn
Hello everybody. My name is Kat
1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We are brand spankin new to all of this! I’ve wanted chickens since I was about 8, and my gracious husband made it happen for me and my babies. I have a friend who has a flock of thirty, and she facilitated a coop she came across and entrusted us with three of her hens (they are downsizing) We have had hens for a week so far.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

3 hens for laying and pets

(3) What breeds do you have?

Rhode Island Red (Opal) brown leghorn (Hattie-Patty. My 3 year old keeps calling Hattie “Patty”, so we double barreled her name) and a sapphire gem (Belle).

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I’ve always loved the idea of being somewhat self sufficient, but as far as the animals go (being only a week in here) I really just enjoy watching their mannerisms and personality quirks. We also love to sit in the run and feed them fresh stuff. They get real happy and talk to us, which we just find endearing.

I also love the potential teaching opportunities for my kids that go with this territory

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love painting landscapes from photos taken on hikes, and I love to write fiction and keep freshwater fish.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have 3 young kids. We homeschool as well, and our new hens just fit right in with our whole motif.

I am a pet portrait artist and a stay at home mom.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

This site kept coming up on my searches with the most informative responses, and I’ve always been a heavy forum user. I find that consulting people who are passionate and have a lot of experience save a lot of time and stop mistakes before they start. This is especially important to me when being the charge of other living things. We are animal lovers. Thanks for the awesome resources! I’m looking forward to learning from those here.

Attachments

• CCC30797-0A79-4526-9FEC-0D3E80296161.jpeg
    CCC30797-0A79-4526-9FEC-0D3E80296161.jpeg
    840 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom