New Turkey Harming Ducks?

FeralCatFarm

Chirping
May 25, 2020
WNC
I have 45+ ducks of various breeds with 30 just turning 5 months old. The others are 8-9 months old. We've noticed the Crested and Cayuga are the most docile and less "frantic" of the bunch. The rest are Khaki, Rouen, Golden, Ancona, and mixes.

We just got 2 8-month old heritage turkey - male and female.

Male is Bourbon + Bronze.
Female is Bourbon + Narragansett.

They've been here a week.

There is a missing Cayuga female and now the female turkey was just chasing a crested female up and down the drainage ditch, pecking her like crazy, stunning her to where she'd just sit if she couldn't run. She couldn't scale the ditch, obviously.

We put the Crested in a sick/brooder coop until we can fully check her. She looks ok, but we need to pull back wings, legs, feathers, etc.

Question: Would a new female turkey of that age be upset with and attack a duck like that?

It's making me re-think having these full-grown turkey.

I've seen others talk about turkey attacking ducklings, but since all mine are adults, I wanted to present our issue as well.

PS, we also have a guinea limping around. Wondering heavily if these 3 birds - harmed and missing - are related.

I have 45+ ducks of various breeds with 30 just turning 5 months old. The others are 8-9 months old. We've noticed the Crested and Cayuga are the most docile and less "frantic" of the bunch. The rest are Khaki, Rouen, Golden, Ancona, and mixes.

We just got 2 8-month old heritage turkey - male and female.

Male is Bourbon + Bronze.
Female is Bourbon + Narragansett.

They've been here a week.

There is a missing Cayuga female and now the female turkey was just chasing a crested female up and down the drainage ditch, pecking her like crazy, stunning her to where she'd just sit if she couldn't run. She couldn't scale the ditch, obviously.

We put the Crested in a sick/brooder coop until we can fully check her. She looks ok, but we need to pull back wings, legs, feathers, etc.

Question: Would a new female turkey of that age be upset with and attack a duck like that?

It's making me re-think having these full-grown turkey.

I've seen others talk about turkey attacking ducklings, but since all mine are adults, I wanted to present our issue as well.
Bourbon Red crossed with Bronze is a Red Bronze.

If the father was a Bourbon Red and the mother was a Narragansett, the hen is a Red Bronze. If the father was a Narragansett and the mother was a Bourbon Red, the hen is a Golden Narragansett.

The turkeys are establishing their place in your pecking order. They can be overly persistent in going after a particular bird. Once they get an idea in their head, they will keep at it.

If you want your ducks to be safe, either pen the turkeys separately or get rid of them.

Last edited:
Bourbon Red crossed with Bronze is a Red Bronze.

If the father was a Bourbon and the mother was a Narragansett, the hen is a Red Bronze. If the father was a Narragansett and the mother was a Bourbon Red, the hen is a Golden Narragansett.

The turkeys are establishing their place in your pecking order. They can be overly persistent in going after a particular bird. Once they get an idea in their head, they will keep at it.

If you want your ducks to be safe, either pen the turkeys separately or get rid of them.

Thanks for confirming our suspicion. She’s a golden. That’s what we thought and wanted a confirmation. She was fine with her old flock, so she may have to go back.

Update: she was attacking a drake today, so we penned her while we were at work. She debeaked herself on the hardware cloth. 🤦‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom