new turkey momma

EZFarms

Songster
10 Years
Nov 23, 2013
northern california
So my bbb hen has been sitting but i had to pull eggs yesterday when she crushed and killed two babies, two more hatched inside but they seem unable to walk, eyes closed, dont really peep alot and just hang their heads- they are asleep in a brooder atm but is this normal? They are only maybe 12-15 hours old. Im used to raising chicks and ducks not turks

They should sleep a lot, but they should also get up and stumble around occasionally. They are wobbly and clumsy initially and prone to falling over. It takes a few days for them to get stronger and to start to be able to control their legs.

You will have to repeatedly teach them to eat and drink during their first week by tapping on stuff. They won't eat much for the first two days, but if you have hatched out chicks you will have known that.

Keep them warmer, at about 100 degrees for the first week. They need more attention for the first two weeks than chicks do, so check them often and show them the food if they aren't already eating.

They should sleep a lot, but they should also get up and stumble around occasionally. They are wobbly and clumsy initially and prone to falling over. It takes a few days for them to get stronger and to start to be able to control their legs.

You will have to repeatedly teach them to eat and drink during their first week by tapping on stuff. They won't eat much for the first two days, but if you have hatched out chicks you will have known that.

Keep them warmer, at about 100 degrees for the first week. They need more attention for the first two weeks than chicks do, so check them often and show them the food if they aren't already eating.
My poults are up and walking fine the same day that they hatch. It does not take days for them to get strong.

I do not have to repeatedly have to teach my poults to eat and drink. I dip their beaks once to show them the water. I use sand for bedding and sprinkle their food on the sand as well as providing a feeder. The more poults the quicker they learn to eat and drink. It can be difficult to get just a few poults to start eating and drinking. A tutor chick can be helpful in those cases.

100°F is too hot and is hotter than what they were hatched at. I personally start my poults at 90°F unless I am starting them with guinea keets. I will start keets and poults together at 95°F. These temperatures are measured at the bedding level and are only kept at that temperature in a localized spot. The area where the food and water is should be kept at lower temperatures so that the poults can come and go from high to low temperatures as they feel the need. The heat should be lowered by 5°F once a week until they are at the ambient temperature.

the three are up and kind of going now, one is still getting his legs the others are standing now, they are not the most intelligent birds ive ever met when they are small

the three are up and kind of going now, one is still getting his legs the others are standing now, they are not the most intelligent birds ive ever met when they are small
They will catch on, they need to be taught things where chicks run on instinct more, but it's also why turkeys are more interactive. Glad they are doing better.

Their heat got unplugged last night and i was woke up at 7:30 this morning to almost dead chicks, i saw them barely move and put them in the incubator and they pulled out of it

They are having quite a rough start in life. I'm glad you caught it early enough to revive them.

yes yes they are if i wouldve gotten woke up an hour later they would probably all be dead, at first my dad thought they were dead until i saw small movements from them

I have had chicks hop out of the nest and be close to death, I had one this spring, I thought was he was dead, but he's a fat healthy little rooster now. I'm hoping they do okay for you.

Back
Top Bottom