New Turkey Owner - Questions :)

scoopy82

Songster
9 Years
Dec 19, 2010
Victoria - Australia!
Hello everyone,
I have just aquired 2 turkeys and have a few questions regarding how to properly care for them.
I have lots of chickens but I'm hoping to always keep them separate.
First question - do turkeys like to roost when they sleep or do they prefer to sleep in a nest at ground level?
Second question - what kind of things to turkeys like to eat? Is there anything that turkey's shouldn't eat? I am feeding them a complete poultry mix that my produce store recommended that contains pellets, grains and seeds but I'm unable to find the nutrient analysis for the mix. Any feeding tips would be greatly appreciated.
Third question - What breed do you think they are? I have been told that there is a female and a male, the female is old enough to be laying eggs but I'm not entirely sure which is which. I'm guessing the bigger one is the boy but knowing nothing about turkeys the brown one may be the boy and just younger?
Any help with 'Plasma' and 'Serum' (they are ex-research birds) would be awesome.

Turkeys LOVE to roost. The higher the better. As far as how to feed them I usually just let my turkeys free range and that is it for feed. Some times I give them game bird conditioner. I am not an expert on turkeys but I think the larger turkey is a tom and is a blue slate. The hen looks like a bourbon red.

Congrats on acquiring 2 ex-research birds! I agree with brahmabreeder, as they like to roost high & I'd guess blue slate & bourbon red. Turkeys need a higher protein diet than chickens, 26% is good. My feed store has a turkey crumble, perhaps look into other feed stores? Riverina is an Aussie brand.

I use this chart to help me with figuring out my poultry treats:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

I try to give them leftovers from our meals on this chart, but not as their sole food or anything. Mealworms are also a welcome treat for them.

I had a chicken "rescue" from a medical facility, but she didn't lay eggs due to the chemical testing done on her. :( We didn't mind, as we just wanted her to finish out her life as happy as possible. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom