New Va. couple - Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by begin-a-new, Feb 25, 2015.

1. begin-a-new

begin-a-new Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    Hello, my name is Deborah, my husband, Mark and I are starting a new phase in our lives. Kids grown with kids of their own. We have 2 dogs and four parakeets. I'm back to making our own dog food and baking our own bread. I grew up, in Fla. more or less in a Norman Rockwell like world. Dirt roads, lived on an island, swimming in the river and swinging on rope swings. A kid's dream world. Mark was a semi-city person from Illinois, until he met me. I turned him into a country loving big kid. LOL. Had my first experience with chickens after my first child was born by raising R.I. Reds for meat. I did not dress them myself, no heart to do that. We also had a small herd of beef cattle. We moved to Va. quiet a few years ago. The kids are gone and we are starting our retirement phase without the retirement, LOL. We are still very active and ready to start OUR new life. Have been looking at raising back yard chickens for eggs only and putting in our new veggie garden. Doing research on the net, I kept finding myself going back to BYC for answers and advice. So here we are! We have decided to go for it and start adding to our family. We chose to go with Buff Orpingtons from Mypetchicken.com. Have not ordered yet, still doing research on coops. We will be building it ourselves. Now, I'm trying to find out if I need to insulate the coop, no electric to the coop. Our winters are changing to be colder the past few years. We will be starting out with day old chicks, same as I did way back when.... Having back yard chickens in Fla. is different than here in snow land Va. For me anyway. LOL [​IMG]I would appreciate any and all help and advice, PLEASE.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Deborah and Mark. Welcome to BYC. Life goes on after the kids have grown and left, and it can be a very good thing.

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join! Feel free to ask any questions you may have, this site is loaded with lots of useful information, I'm sure you will find answers to all your questions here!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. begin-a-new

Feb 25, 2015
    Thank you for the welcome. I have already leaned a lot on here. Looking forward to learning a lot more.
    Deborah

5. begin-a-new

Feb 25, 2015
    NOW, the real fun begins. The nest is empty, time to fill it back up!!! [​IMG] Thank you for the great welcome.
    Deborah

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you joined us. I have 3 BO's and love them. Except 2 were broody way too often their first year. They are nearly 2 yo and hopefully broody moods will be less this spring summer. Each has such a different personality but all are sweeties. They are big gals, which I'm sure you know, so make sure your coop / run accommodates - The are listed as cold hardy, but have done well even in the heat and humidity of our summers in middle Ga.

I don't think you will need heat in the coop, most are ok down to -20 or so the experts living in cold areas report. Not sure about insulation, best to post that on coop/run forum and get feedback from those in the area - but if you do, make sure it is between walls so chickens won't snack on the insulation. Our coop is not insulated, and the girls had no problems in the last 2 winters even with a low of 5 F/ high 11 F. Keeping unfrozen water is the main issue with hard freezes.

Good luck in getting your new flock. Feel free to ask questions and enjoy the forums.

Check out the Any Bakers thread, would love to see your breads.
    There is also a forum on gardening.

7. begin-a-new

Feb 25, 2015
    Hello Sunflour, great to met you. My husband has a loving golden heart. If we had cows or horses, bet you he would try to bring them into the house every winter. LOL. He has already made his wishes be known that the coop must be insulated. OH! BOY! my work is cut out for me. I think they will be ok. I've chosen a winter hardy breed. But I will insulate. Are your chicken free ranged? mine will be in a coop and run. I have two dogs and mixing them may not be a good idea.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC, Deborah! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock".

You'll really enjoy your Buff Orpingtons! They have a well-deserved reputation for being docile and good egg layers.

I hope you can find the answers to any questions you may have. The Learning Center is a great place to start, if you haven't looked at it already: Learning Center Articles

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Deborah, nice to meet you. Hope you enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by