New, wanting to add ducks and turkeys

free

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 16, 2010
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? My grandparents always raised chickens, I've had my own now for 4 months and LOVE them.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 10

(3) What breeds do you have? Rhode Is Reds, Plymouth Rock???, Black Cornish, I think Buttercup, Hawaiian local girl and a Golden Polish

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Google

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Gardening, Essential Oils, Herbs, Reiki

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. 5 year old, Chihuahua on the Main Land, 2 great cat ratters that came w/ the house

We'd like to add some ducks and turkeys. Can anyone advise on this as we know we have to get them "on island."

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. Not quite sure what you mean by having to get them "on island."
idunno.gif
If it is your location, most hatcheries might ship anywhere.

I have ducks and quail, not chickens. What do you want the ducks for? Eggs? Meat? Pond ornament? Comic relief? What you have in mind will determine what kind of breed you should get...but I think they all qualify for comic relief
big_smile.png

Aloha! I'm a transplanted Californian and can translate west coast American...free is from Hawaii, can't you guys tell when she says one of her chickens is a Hawaian local girl? I think there are laws about what gets shipped there is what the reference is about I believe.

Welcome from the Main Land! You will love this forum, lots of answers!

I started with chickens and added ducks about a year ago. My advice, you will love them, but give them their own quarters. While ours all get along, the ducks make everything in the coop too wet.

We are thinking of adding turkeys this year if I can get some from our local feed store, I don't want to try having them shipped.

I don't know what the shipping laws are, but I got some lovely muscovy ducks shipped to me from J.M. Hatchery. There was a post office mixup and even though I paid for same day air, it took them two days to be delivered and were still in pretty good shape. I ended up with a nice little flock from them. I'd recommend them as nice ducks. We had Cayuga ducks as well, but they were more quarrelsome. Maybe it was just the Cayuga I happened to get, though, I'm not a duck expert, but Wifezilla is right, they are all great for comic relief! There must be some available locally where you are at?

Thank you. Yes, on The Big Island of Hawaii only chickens can be shipped. I am looking for ducks and turkeys for meat - I wouldn't mind duck eggs as well and would like to continue to raise them by our own eggs. Ducks and Turkeys have to be found "on island" as they are not allowed to be imported - Avian Flu Laws. If anyone have ducks/turkeys on The Big Island, I would LOVE to hear from you.

Mahalo
Free

I didn't know an unhatched egg could carry a disease.

Do you have a local version of Craig's List? Maybe you could advertise that you are looking for ducks and turkeys in the spring.

I know there are other BYC members on this forum however in Hawaii....

Anyone out there?????????????????????

Back
Top Bottom