New watering system..but it leaks

BTW I also have a 5 gallon water can with a heater, its the anti-freeze system for the winter. I added this to have back up water as its really hot some days and also wanted to always have backup source of water for all the birds.
MUST keep the birds hydrated!

I’ve just installed very similar system using same cups, and yeah, they leak just like you’re saying. I unscrewed all of them and wrapped plumber’s tape around all of them and reinserted - helped a bit, but didn’t solve. Tomorrow I’m resorting to a silicone hard-setting leak fix gel. The cups are filling because your leak is coming from top of the insert valve and down into the cup. Some of mine are leaking there, and some from the bottom..

BTW I also have a 5 gallon water can with a heater, its the anti-freeze system for the winter. I added this to have back up water as its really hot some days and also wanted to always have backup source of water for all the birds.
MUST keep the birds hydrated!
That's a really clever idea! Maybe a filter of some kind somewhere in the line would solve the grit problem. Somewhere easy to take it out and clean or replace.

I
What kind of heater?
It keeps the 55 gals of water from freezing?
What about the pipe?
I'm sorry I wasn't clear aside from this water system I have a regular 5 gallon bird waterer with the heater under it for the winter, standard items, This watering plan is new and will work well in the non freezing weather.

Also I followed the advice given here and used a compressed air can that I use to clean my computer keyboard to blow the cups out and it seems to have cleared the debris that was not allowing the yellow stem to close and I think the leak has stopped but I'll know tomorrow.....
Thx!!!!

What kind of heater?
It keeps the 55 gals of water from freezing?
What about the pipe?
BTW I have looked at heaters to keep 55 gallon rain barrel from freezing, they run about $45 on ebay and its a silicone band that has a thermostat and plugs into house current, good for metal or plastic drums.....I'm thinking of getting one.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear aside from this water system I have a regular 5 gallon bird waterer with the heater under it for the winter, standard items, This watering plan is new and will work well in the non freezing weather.
Ah, missed that part.

Also I followed the advice given here and used a compressed air can that I use to clean my computer keyboard to blow the cups out and it seems to have cleared the debris that was not allowing the yellow stem to close and I think the leak has stopped but I'll know tomorrow.....
Still need to clean out the pipe and filter the incoming water.

BTW I have looked at heaters to keep 55 gallon rain barrel from freezing, they run about $45 on ebay and its a silicone band that has a thermostat and plugs into house current, good for metal or plastic drums.....I'm thinking of getting one.
Still need to deal with the pipe..... and cups freezing.

I looked long and hard at a pipe and nipple system, finally decided the cool and fun factor(long time equipment designer here) was not worth the trouble they pose in a cold climate.

Back
Top Bottom