New (with ducking photos and a question about crested)

Aww, Thanks. She is REALLY excited. Her little brother is slightly terrified of the ducklings - but is slowing starting to warm up to them. She has claimed one of the cayuga's as "hers."
You're welcome. That's sweet your kids are exposed to ducks at such a young age. I'm glad your son is warming up to them.

You're welcome. That's sweet your kids are exposed to ducks at such a young age. I'm glad your son is warming up to them.

My mom says I'm giving them the childhood I always wanted. As a kid I wanted ALL the animals. And mom always said when I had a house of my own I could have as many as I wanted, but that as long as I was in hers she got to make the rules (which was totally her right). Our life is a little chaotic, and has a LOT of poop in it, but I think it is worth it :)

My mom says I'm giving them the childhood I always wanted. As a kid I wanted ALL the animals. And mom always said when I had a house of my own I could have as many as I wanted, but that as long as I was in hers she got to make the rules (which was totally her right). Our life is a little chaotic, and has a LOT of poop in it, but I think it is worth it :)
LOL. It sounds like things are just right in your house

LOL. It sounds like things are just right in your house

I know not everyone is going to agree with me, but I think crested ducks are wonderful. My black crested, Daffodil, is not only the clear pack leader, but whip smart to boot. She was the one that figured out how to escape the pen, wander around, then put herself back in before the household awoke to find her misdeeds. She was only caught out by a sick dog & sleepy owner. She also figured out where the meal worms were kept and managed to get 6' off the ground, open the bag & gorge on meal worms until a schedule change busted her. Daffodil also recognizes each family member and has a unique sound for each. The only downside to her being crested, is none of the eggs she laid were able to hatch. She and our Rouen co-hatched 4 ducklings (Magpie x Rouen) & worked together beautifully. Daffodil was an superb mama duck, and continues to be friendly to her fellow flock mates of the feathered and non feathered type. Her only flaw according to some, is her loud, sassy mouth. She lets you know when you have failed to meet her expectations. I should also mention she lays an egg a day without fail. I've included a few poorly shot photos to show her off.

Attachments

• IMG_5536.jpg
    IMG_5536.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5537.jpg
    IMG_5537.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5538.jpg
    IMG_5538.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 6
I know not everyone is going to agree with me, but I think crested ducks are wonderful. My black crested, Daffodil, is not only the clear pack leader, but whip smart to boot. She was the one that figured out how to escape the pen, wander around, then put herself back in before the household awoke to find her misdeeds. She was only caught out by a sick dog & sleepy owner. She also figured out where the meal worms were kept and managed to get 6' off the ground, open the bag & gorge on meal worms until a schedule change busted her. Daffodil also recognizes each family member and has a unique sound for each. The only downside to her being crested, is none of the eggs she laid were able to hatch. She and our Rouen co-hatched 4 ducklings (Magpie x Rouen) & worked together beautifully. Daffodil was an superb mama duck, and continues to be friendly to her fellow flock mates of the feathered and non feathered type. Her only flaw according to some, is her loud, sassy mouth. She lets you know when you have failed to meet her expectations. I should also mention she lays an egg a day without fail. I've included a few poorly shot photos to show her off.
How wonderful. What a very sweet story about Daffodil. She's so cute. I love how she has attitude.

Back
Top Bottom