New with incubating -- totally brainless here!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SkyWarrior, Aug 15, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Okay, so I put the eggs that I got in the mail in the incubator on the 10th and the 14th. I'm keeping the temperature at 100F and trying to adjust the humidity, but it's hard to do. [​IMG] Basically they stay between 55% and 65%, which is a bit wet, if I read it right. I'm turning the eggs a minimum of three times a day.

They're supposed to hatch August 31st or so. [​IMG] Last night I tried candling and decided it requires too much visual acuity. (Eye strain being what it is and even with bifocal lenses, it's not perfect:old). All I saw were blobs and rings. So, I'm going to pretend they're all going to hatch and everything will be fine. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Am I being stupid? I know that I could get anything from a great hatch to not a single pip. But I figure the candling thing is too hard on my eyes and I figure I'll get what I get, regardless on how much I look or don't. [​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    That is pretty much how my hatch went. I figured that I did my best, and I learned something from the experience so it is all good. All anyone can do is their best, and that is good enough. Just keep learning, and you will get better each time you try it.

3. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Be patient - you must make sure that the humidity is right! That is really important and the Temperature too - if its too high it will kill the chicks and same if it is too low also low temps can mean late chicks. - Turning - I did mine twice a day. but three is also good remember that you need to lock down at 18 days. No turning or opening the incubator or you mess the humidity level up. Do look at the information on the top of the Incubating and hatching eggs ( In the sticky at the top) - iyt will give loads of infor on things like candling and helping hatch and float testing.

Hope all goes well for you. - It isn;t a good idea to put eggs in the incubator at different times - but hay there in there now so go with it. Its only like 2 days difference>? But the trouble with it is the turning and lock down times so you need to be careful to turn those eggs but not keep the incubator open to long. You may need to do a little water spray to keep the humidity right. - Do be patient - they don;t always arrive on day 21! - Two of my chicks arrived almost as I was going to throw them out and give up. They arrived Day 27 and day 28!!!!!!!!!!!! But then I think I messed up as the temperature was a little low and so I think they developed slower than they should have so be mindful and patient.

Good luck

Oesdog - [​IMG]

4. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    My vision is poor so here is my home made egg candle thing. It works very well. I used what available on hand with compact florescent light bulb. There is no need to strain the eye.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by