New Zealand white about to give birth?

Our current Mama has a litter of 7. She has no issues with our 5 month old Maremma Sheepdog. He is not a barker, but he sniffs like mad and eats the rabbit poo and their feed off the floor. We just moved her and her kits, the 2 other Does, the ten 10 week old grow outs into the garage. Our Mama, Alice, is DH's baby girl. She knows this. She can make him fall all over himself trying to keep her happy. She is not afraid of the dog, the cats, chickens or much of anything. Honestly, some Rabbits can't have the other animal, noises, smells, sights, etc.. some can. It all depends on the rabbit.

If the mama had been Annie or Bella, they would not have been moved until we weaned. Caramel we could have moved while she was kindling. Caramel is just that laid back of a rabbit. You have to understand the rabbit. None of ours mind the dog. Alice has growled at the dog and sent him running. She has attitude and throws it around.

The cage we bought seemed big enough (36Lx17W) for a mother and her babies, but it is getting to be time for them to leave the nest and follow mamma around. Their are 4 kits, along with the mother I think it could be cramped in there. Can/should I move mom and kits to a larger cage after they leave the nest? When can the nest box be removed?
The dog has not been a bother. He acts like a big brother, goes over sniff the cage then moves over to check on the chickens.

Thank you all for being patient with me.

The 4 babies from our Brown? Born 24Dec13

5 NZW babies. Born 22Dec13

Proud dad. Any idea what breed he might be?

Dad looks a little FG-ish by colors.

The dogs won't bother the rabbits. I have two large, prey-driven dogs out with the rabbits all the time. They run, jump, growl, wrestle, bark and generally make a ruckus every day the rabbits couldn't care less as long as the dogs stay out of the cages... Which of course the dogs can't get in the cages. :p

That cage is a little small. 3'X2' is the minimum most people suggest for big breeds like that usually, and although I have certainly seen smaller they just aren't very happy there. Mine are 4'X4' or 2'X5'.

You can move mom as soon as the babies are out of the nest box. That way mom won't loose track of her kits at any point in time because they can come to her to get food. Its a bit cold right now so I'd leave the box in until they are 3-4 weeks at least but I live in the frigid north and it has been 20's and six inches of snow all week. Rabbits are cold weather animals, for sure, the icy weather doesn't even phase my adults.

I figured I'd leave the nest till they no longer use it. I will leave them be until next week. The cage I built for them is 4x3 that is where i'll move them to. @ChocolateMouse Our temps and weather has been terrible this week also. They all got their fur in the nick of time. They all made it. Our male was small size just a few months ago but has grown so big in last few months. I was thinking it may of been a larger breed. We got him from an animal flea market.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom