NewB Breed Questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JPapp, Feb 3, 2009.

1. JPapp

JPapp New Egg

Jan 5, 2009
    SF, Bay Area
    So we are going to be jumping into the rasing chickens game starting in spring. We are looking for birds that give us some eggs (don't need a huge amount - just for our use) good pets for our kids (5 & 3), and composte. We are looking at max 3 chickens - no roosters.

So my question. We want good birds for the kids, good layers, non flyers as we live in the burbs. I have been told the Barred Rocks or Long Island Red (I think they are called) would be good for us. Any thoughts on these breeds? Also where can we order such a small quantity?

Thanks in advance for your input.

J

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Cochins are very friendly and wyandottes are too. www.mypetchicken.com will let you order I belive as little as 3 chciks.

3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Hi and welcome,

Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons and Rhode Island Reds (not Long Island Reds) would be great. Also consider the Brahma, they are lovely, sweet and good layers. Meyer Hatchery and My Pet Chicken have small order programs but they will nail you with shipping charges. I would try to find a feed store in your area that has day old chicks. A lot of the time the feed stores will special order for you.

Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My favorite is Buff Orpington's because they are calm, friendly and good producers. Winter hearty, and they lay large beige eggs.

You can order as few as two or three from mypetchickens.com

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I agree with Bsaffles, and MANY say do not get RIR as they are aggressive, I think this varies on where the birds are purchased (supposeldy hatchery RIRs can be nasty) I've never met a mean one either way IMO.

I say cochins are the best. THey were my favorite as a kid! [​IMG]

6. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    I have buff orps and barred rocks. Love both breeds! They come running to the fence when ever they here the back door open. They act more like dogs than birds. Also they just started laying in the last three weeks and I get at least 2 eggs a day from 4 birds.

7. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    I wouldn't do Rhode Island Reds, maybe New Hamps, but not RIR. They are mean. [​IMG] I think Buff Orphingtons would be great, my kids love them. Now if my 7 yr old were answering this he would tell you silkies. He has one chicken that is his own, it is a silkie and he is [​IMG] with that chicken. But I don't know anything about silkies, this one was given to us.

8. JPapp

JPapp New Egg

Jan 5, 2009
    SF, Bay Area
    Thanks for the comments. Is it best to stick with one breed? Or mix it up? I just checked out the buff orps. How are they as fliers (as you can see I am a little concerned about them getting over our 6' fence).

J

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by