Newbe question - post hatching

Quote:
Oh forgot to mention, we were also going to start with 2 or 3, we were firm in that number ... now we have six standard hens, 1 serama rooster, 4 serama hens, two 2 week old blue Ameraucana chicks, one 6 week old EE chick, and one 2 week old serama chick (left from the 14 we hatched - have to keep one you know!). Good thing they can free range on the side yard! Oh, and we have 20 wheaton Ameraucana eggs, and 4 Marans eggs that we just set yesterday
smile.png
Of course we are going to sell the chicks - can't keep that many! We are addicted to hatching now!

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC from Connecticut!!

The only sure way to know if they're a girl or boy chicken is when they lay an egg or crow. It's a bummer b/c you get to know and attach to them by then. Been there, can't keep boys either.
sad.png

This is all great info, thanks!

And lot's of community spirit - nice to see.

New problem - my wife is throwing up roadblocks when I mentioned to her that I was serious about this. Her concerns are the unknown and the effort that is required. She also mentioned that it would be cruel to leave the birds outside in the winter and "I can see the chickens running around the house".

Any suggestions on how I can overcome her objections?

Thanks to all!

Scott

Back
Top Bottom