Newbe with just enough knowledge to maybe be dangerous!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rural Chic, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Rural Chic

Rural Chic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2012
    Fernley, Nevada
    Hello, I am new to this site and to owning chickens... and well baby geese too, (they will arrive later next week along with 4 more chicks, I'm really excited[​IMG]).
    So let me tell you a bit about myself...
    I am a singe mom with a 151/2 yr old son, we just bought our own home 1 1/2 yrs ago and my mom now lives with us since she lost her home. We have 6 cats (all indoor) and now baby chickens and soon baby geese. I work in an office Mon.- Fri. for a wonderful company.

We got 7 baby chicks from a nearby town a couple of weeks ago and have keep them in a large Rubbermaid tote with wood shavings, food, water and a stick to roost on. (and a heat lamp)
    I have done allot of research on chickens and geese, mainly from this site, and I think I have gotten off on the right foot.
    We did lose one of our babies when a neighbors cat got into the little play yard we created for our bunnies. (Really sad [​IMG]) We have since constructed a new top that is not so easy to get into, if your a cat! See what I mean about having just enough knowledge to be dangerous, I must have been just a bit over confident in my abilities, too bad one had to die for me to learn my lesson.
    We have also done some work on our little shed, (6 X 8 in size) it is now a chicken coop and rabbit home for our two silky bunnies. This past weekend we sealed the concrete floor and laid linoleum down for ease in cleaning. We have mounted a closet rod, we had extra for them to roost on at about 6-8 inches off the floor, and now at about 2 months I have 3 little ones who use it. (They are really cute too all cuddled together on the bar.)
    Since I work all day and my son is in school they don't get allot of attention from us until evening when I go out to feed them and the bunnies, then sit and talk to them all. I let one bunny out at a time to get a little exercise and the chicks run flapping from them. Of course they run away flapping from me to so I wasn't really surprised when they ran from the bunnies.
    Later next week we will have 4 new chicks arriving and 2 baby geese. I am really excited about this.[​IMG]
    Luckily I have all that I need now for the new babies when they arrive except for a water dish for the goslings. Just not sure what would be best for them. I have little over a week to figure it out so we should be OK.

Anyway i only wanted to say hi and introduce myself a bit. I am sure I will have questions in the future and am glad there is a place for me to go to get the answers.
    Thanks for everyone who has posted with hours of information for all us newbies.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello again! Good luck with your new arrivals and enjoy! Goslings are adorable [​IMG]

3. Rural Chic

Oct 9, 2012
    Fernley, Nevada
    Thanks again. I wasn't sure how i should have posted and after reading some of the others i figured i needed to start my own and give more details. I keep trying to remember to take some photos but each night i go in to visit my babies i forget to. I hope to remember soon before they get too old and are no long babies.

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Hi, and welcome to BYC!

In another month or so, you may want to install a 2x4 roost, with the 4in side flat so they have a nice resting spot. I started out with a 2 inch dowel for mine, and they never used it once I put in the 2x4 roosts. It'll also help them keep their feet warmer in the winter months...

What kind of geese did you get? I am so tempted into getting Sebastapols... BUT, I'd have to build another coop/house for them.

1 person likes this.
  5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

6. Rural Chic

Oct 9, 2012
    Fernley, Nevada
    I just got whatever Ideal Poultry had to offer, it is their choice so we get to be surprised on what geese we get. I really don't care at this time since i am sure to make mistakes. Week after next my son and i will begin construction on the geese pen and house. I have a few ideas on what i want to do and yes i know not to put the babies out too soon as the weather is getting colder. I am going to put a heat lamp in their house for warmth along with the other essencials.
    I understand that geese are very smart and need thing to play with and to occupy themselves with. I have read that some owners hang parrot toys in the goose house, Anything else i can do to make them happy? (well besides have a pool available once they are old enough).

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by