Newbie Alert

jknox1982

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
Muscle Shoals AL
Hello everyone!!!
My name is Jenn and I live in Muscle Shoals AL with my now 7 chickens. I just got 3 new babies today!!! They are ameruacanas so I was told. I got them because they were just too cute to leave tand the thought of green and blue eggs is extremely exciting to me. I also have Speckles and Chickie who are barred rocks, and Ashley who is black with brown marking and I have no idea what breed she is she was given to me with Nugget my brown baby.
I am new to raising chicken as of February of this year. My babies reside in a 10x20 foot run with a old hound dog house as their roost. They seem to be very happy there and I love having them around.
I got into chickens because I have always loved them I just never had room and now I have plenty out here in the country. I also got them for the added bonus of fresh eggs.
I have a full house of rescued babies, 4 dogs and 2 cats. Add in my 7 chickens and I am super excited and happy.
I am not sure if my new babies are hens or roosters yet but I am hoping for at least one rooster.
Some of my other hobbies are gardening, paper crafts, and sewing. Since I moved to Alabama from Connecticut I feel at home and at peace with life, the country is where I was meet to be. I can go out in my garden and grow our own food and can it which I have recently learned how to do. Or go hide in my craft room on a rainy day and get lost. Or take a walk to the chicken run and watch the chickens be chickens.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. If some of your Ameraucanas are laying green eggs then they are Easter Eggers as instead of true Ameraucanas as true Ameraucanas lay only blue eggs. Easter Eggers are produced by crossing true Ameraucanas with other breeds to produce hens that lay eggs in colors other than just blue such as olive, green, beige, and even pale pink and gold. There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the difference. Our Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's favorite hens. She loves them for the different colored eggs that they lay. If you want to know the breed and gender of some of your chickens, just post their pics (full body profile showing legs and tails would work best) on our What Breed and Gender is This? section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this and I'm sure that our experts there can ID them for you. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

welcome-byc.gif

yippiechickie.gif
Welcome from Georgia!! I grew up in Alabama but I now reside in the North Georgia Mountains. Muscle Shoals makes me think of LYNYRD SKYNYRD!! I hear ya'll "got some swampers, and they've been known to pick a song or two"
big_smile.png
. Now I've got to go listen to some SKYNYRD!! Glad you joined us!!
frow.gif

'

My step son lives in Dalton GA!!!!
My Mom is coming to visit and we are CT I was trying to tell her all about Muscle Shoals Sound and she was like really!! I laughed and laughed. I would never be anywhere other then here.
yippiechickie.gif

Good morning and welcome to BYC! Glad you're enjoying your chickens, they are a lot of fun and so interesting.

Back
Top Bottom