1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie all the way around

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Arkantex, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Hi guys. My name is Jeremy and I am a newbie to the site and to raising chickens. We (my wife, my 1 year old boy, and myself) don't have any chickens yet. I am trying to read up before on taking care of them before we buy. We live in west texas just north of the midland/odessa area, but my wife and I grew up in arkansas.

When we found out that we were pregnant with our son, we bought 10 acres a few miles out of town and moved out on it. As I mentioned above, we grew up out in the country in arkansas. We wanted to get out of the city while we still could. Our intentions are to start a small farm on our 10 acres and possible expand later on. We figured chickens would be the best animal to start with. So, that brings us here!

We are probably going to get our chicks from McMuarry Hatchery in the next few months. I just have a few other projects that I have to finnish before I can build the coop. As soon as we have the coop/run built, we are going to get 25 of the hatchery's "brown egg layers"... that is unless we change our minds betwee now and ordering time.

So, please forgive my ignorance when I ask all kinds of rediculasly newbie questions!

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Welcome from Washington State!! Glad your here.

3. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! I wish you the best of luck with your new farm. There is lots of good information here and plenty of helpful people. I think you will love it here. I know I do! [​IMG]

4. Kountreefok

Kountreefok Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Graceton, MN
    [​IMG] Hi and welcome! Yep, IMHO cities are great places to be from--the country is a great place to live. Especially for raising people younguns. Planning and preparedness is always a good plan! Sounds like you're already off to a great start! Have fun and good luck!

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from another in WA. glad you joined us [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. smarquis86

smarquis86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    welcome to byc from Washington state. good idea on the knowledge first. i did that also helped alot when it came time to raising the chicks and now we are just getting eggs from 2 of the 15. good luck

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

9. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG]

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens