Newbie and needing help, hen or rooster? breed????

MrsOJohnson

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2020
Hello fellow chicken ma's and pa's! So we moved out to the farm last July and I was itching to start our homestead and although terrified of chickens I read so many posts on here that taught me otherwise. SOOO I ventured out to our local farm store one day and there were baby chicks EVERYWHERE! I spoke with one of the gals there who was so sweet and very informative. She helped me pick out four Buff Orphingtons, 2 black Australorps, and then because they were so cute we picked out two silkies (unsexed as I'm sure you guessed). Well these girls were just a charm to have in the house, no I'm not being sarcastic. We all LOVE them. I talk to them constantly, hold them a lot (we have 3 boys who love helping clean up their brooder and give them daily loves), and then we went to another farm store a few weeks later out of town and they had more chicks! I couldn't handle myself so we were just going to get these super cute mohawk babies (now I know them as golden polish, lol) but 4 was the requirement so I got two others...all unsexed.

Now I need help, I have no clue what two of the breeds are(figured out the Mohawks by their very distinguishable color and hairstyle), and I also have a sneaking suspicion that our fluffy white Silkie we named Dolly is a rooster (she, or he is crowing...a lot now, lol) and I wonder if one of my unknown breeds is a rooster, she or he is very bossy, and lovingly referred to as "the boots with the furrrrrrr" (for all us '00 kids lol) and I also think one of the golden Polish is a rooster because "his" tail feathers are sticking straight up vs. the other polish who's is more rounded and pointed down like my other hens...... so hard! help!?!

Also, the silver/gray hen we are still trying to figure out what breed she is? She is younger than my original 8 but bigger already..any ideas?
1st pic: Roozy our suspected rooster (aka "boots with the furrrrrr" :cool: ), breed unknown with fully feathered feet. Very bossy with the other hens but lets me pick him/her up and will relax and coo at me the whole time I hold him/her....I *think* quite the attention (you know what)..
2nd pic: My two golden polish...see the difference between their tails??? the suspected rooster is at the bottom of the picture vs the suspected hen at the top. Also caught in the picture is our very pretty silver hen which we have no clue what breed she is...
3rd pic: Roozy (aka. boots with the fur) from the top.....black feathers have that same really pretty green that my black australorps have in the sun! but the black and white speckles (shown in pic 1) totally throw me?!?!?!
Pic 4: another angle of my two golden polish and "his" tail feathers....
Pic 5: a cameo of our silver hen who we cannot distinguish :)

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    539.3 KB · Views: 41
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    799.1 KB · Views: 11
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    696.6 KB · Views: 11
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    566.1 KB · Views: 11
Judging from that wild hair doo... I'm going to say the one polish is a roo. And it looks like little miss boots with the fur is a Mr. As it looks like he has some pretty pointy saddle feathers.
I had a feeling! I always thought roosters were not friendly though? He "Roozy, aka boots with the fur" actually seeks me out for attention and loves to be held?
If i have three roosters and we are debating if keeping all of them is a good idea? I think I want to keep the polish rooster (now named Ken Doll ..his other polish mate is Barbie so this was the most fitting, haha!) and Roozy. Yes Roozy is bossy with his housemates but he is the sweetest to me and the easiest to pick up and handle. Our Dolly (white silkie) he does not like to be held, is super loud and constantly crowing and the other girls do not seem to like him very much....even though Roozy is bossy they pick at Dolly whereas they seem to "listen" to Roozy?
suggestions???

I had a feeling! I always thought roosters were not friendly though? He "Roozy, aka boots with the fur" actually seeks me out for attention and loves to be held?
If i have three roosters and we are debating if keeping all of them is a good idea? I think I want to keep the polish rooster (now named Ken Doll ..his other polish mate is Barbie so this was the most fitting, haha!) and Roozy. Yes Roozy is bossy with his housemates but he is the sweetest to me and the easiest to pick up and handle. Our Dolly (white silkie) he does not like to be held, is super loud and constantly crowing and the other girls do not seem to like him very much....even though Roozy is bossy they pick at Dolly whereas they seem to "listen" to Roozy?
suggestions???
I keep multiple roosters together.. some are super cuddly some are so nasty they go to freezer camp, I have a dominant rooster and the others are respectful of him. Each rooster is different though. Silkies and polish tend to get picked on in mixed flocks from what I've seen and heard. But young birds of both sexes will squabble as they are figuring out pecking order, just watch for any injuries as they will continue pecking.

Back
Top Bottom