Newbie Chicken Lady

Jen rose

In the Brooder
Dec 1, 2020
Hi! I’m new here. I love farm life. Have always wanted to live on a farm, but settled for a small house with a couple acres. I just got my first two chickens from my bestie who lives on a farm. I’ve been wanting chickens for years but wanted to learn more before I jumped in. Now I have to learn fast because the chicken she gave me has laid 8 fertile eggs & she also gifted me an incubator with 7 chicken eggs inside “cooking”!! So exciting except now I’ve had my face buried in my phone and tablet trying to learn as much as I can before they hatch. The eggs are all different so I have no idea what kind they are. Times up! Now there is an egg with one little pip in it that’s been sitting that way for over 12 hours. I’m worried it’s not gonna make it. I can see movement but no action. I have no idea what I’m doing so I’m just gonna let nature take it’s course. And btw, the 2 chickens I have are Dark Brahmas & the egg layer killed the first chick that hatched. I took them from her and put them in the incubator. Those are the ones that are starting to hatch now. Pray for me y’all, I’m in over my head!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Congrats on finally getting some chickens! Good luck with your hatch. Its normal to externally pip and sit for up to 24 hours. Right now the chick is busy absorbing the last of the yolk and detaching blood vessels from the inside of the shell. So it's all good! Keep your humidity up and don't open the incubator as that will cause the chicks to stick to the shells and die with the loss of humidity.

If you need more help, definitely post in our Incubation forums for more help... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/incubating-hatching-eggs.5/

Keep us posted and welcome aboard!

Hi! I’m new here. I love farm life. Have always wanted to live on a farm, but settled for a small house with a couple acres. I just got my first two chickens from my bestie who lives on a farm. I’ve been wanting chickens for years but wanted to learn more before I jumped in. Now I have to learn fast because the chicken she gave me has laid 8 fertile eggs & she also gifted me an incubator with 7 chicken eggs inside “cooking”!! So exciting except now I’ve had my face buried in my phone and tablet trying to learn as much as I can before they hatch. The eggs are all different so I have no idea what kind they are. Times up! Now there is an egg with one little pip in it that’s been sitting that way for over 12 hours. I’m worried it’s not gonna make it. I can see movement but no action. I have no idea what I’m doing so I’m just gonna let nature take it’s course. And btw, the 2 chickens I have are Dark Brahmas & the egg layer killed the first chick that hatched. I took them from her and put them in the incubator. Those are the ones that are starting to hatch now. Pray for me y’all, I’m in over my head!
1606528678036.jpg

Back
Top Bottom