Newbie chicken parents and BYC members in Virginia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RoosterRidge, Jun 14, 2011.

1. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Hello, we are from South Central Virginia. We have 27 chickens ranging from 7-9 weeks old. This is the first time we have ever raised baby peeps. We absolutely fell in love with them day 1. Thank you so much for this site, everything we know about raising the chicks we have learned here. We still have so much to learn. We are going to add some hay in the coop and run but have no idea what type to use. Is there a certain type that we need to use? We don't want to make our babies sick because we used the wrong type. They really have given us so much entertainment. These are being raised strictly for eggs, no way could we cull them, not after falling in love with them the way we have. We will be asking alot of questions in the forum. Thanks in advance for all your help.

2. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Hi and welcome! I am in Virginia also [​IMG]
    Can't help with your question as I use shavings in the coop, and grass/sand in the run, but I am sure someone will come along who can help.
    [​IMG]

3. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] fom Ontario, Canada! Hope you have a great time here.

4. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

6. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

7. Chicksatlast

Chicksatlast New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    I hope you get a response to your hay question soon, as I am also curious. A neighbor has some first-cutting orchard grass hay, delivered for $2.75 sq. bale. I was wondering if I should invest in a little. I use shavings on the floor of the coop, but was wondering if perhaps hay in the nest boxes would be a treat... maybe even bedding in the coop during the winter...

8. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Everything we have learned we did so by trial and error. We have been really lucky and have very healthy birds. We don't want to do anything to bring harm to them. We also have been trying to come up with some ideas to winterize the coop. I know that sounds kind of crazy in the middle of June but cold weather will be here before we know it. I hope to get an answer soon to the type of hay, we want to start putting our nesting boxes in the coop. It really does warm our hearts to know that there are so many other chicken lovers out there. Ours are as spoiled as our cats are.

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Just as long as it is clean, mold-free hay any type will work. We use pine shavings, but in the past we have used straw hay as a substitute in the winter time. The only big problem with hay is that some try to eat it and end up with impacted crops as a result.

[​IMG] from your southern neighbors!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  10. Kelly41

Kelly41 New Egg

Nov 15, 2009
    Aragon, Ga
    Hi and welcome RR! I would consider using mulch and hay together. I use pine mulch and wheat straw in my pens, more mulch than wheat straw. I mix pine shavings in there also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by