Newbie confused by space requirements

You say you are not handy. Let me tell you a story.

When my boys were about 10 and 12, I realized I had been a failure. I can remember the ages because one was a Boy Scout and one was still a Cub Scout. I saw one of the boys try to swing a hammer using two hands. I figured that shame reflected directly on me since I had failed to teach them properly. I needed to replace a rusted out shed where the lawn mower was stored and had been trying to decide whether to get a wooden or metal shed. When I noticed him swinging with two hands, I decided on an 8' x 8' wooden shed kit from a local hardware store. The kit contained the drawings, all wood precut to size, and all the hardware needed to put it together except maybe the nails. I don't remember for sure about the nails.

Anyway, the two boys put that shed together for me. They read the plans. They decided which pieces went where. They drove all the nails. They put the shingles on top. They painted it. I occasionally provided some muscle, nothing else. One corner may not have fitted exactly right, but it did not leak. When they were helping the other Scouts with their Eagle projects, they really impressed the other boys with the way they could handle a hammer.

If a 12 year old and a 10 year old can put one of those sheds together, I'm pretty sure you can.

Back
Top Bottom