Newbie coop question

First post. No chickens yet, just in the research phase.
I got a really good deal on a henhouse and coop. My neighbors decided it wasn't for them.
My first question (of many, I'm sure) is: will hens share nesting boxes?
The henhouse has a three section nesting box arrangement with three egg collection doors. Should I stick with three hens or will they share if there are four?
Thanks!

3 hens will easily share each box. 3 boxes will serve 9 hens or more

x2 Accounting for 3-4 hens per box is good. They all like to pile into the same box. I have 5 hens and 2 boxes but they only use one - sometimes three at once. They feel safer laying eggs where someone else also lays eggs.

they seem to use whatever box they want. seems at times most will lay eggs in one box - possibly so other chickens will help with the care. Good Luck.

Thanks that's what I was hoping to hear.

Next question: I have a security light that goes on with movement at night. We've had prowlers in the past.
When it's breezy at night it sometimes goes on do to branches on nearby trees.
Will this affect the hens if their coop is near it?

Thanks that's what I was hoping to hear.
Next question: I have a security light that goes on with movement at night. We've had prowlers in the past.
When it's breezy at night it sometimes goes on do to branches on nearby trees.
Will this affect the hens if their coop is near it?

Depends, are we talking stadium lighting or a 40 watt bulb? Unless it is a massive floodlight, and it is right in their window, I doubt it will bother them. Mine are not too far from our dusk to dawn sodium vapor light, and they don't seem to mind at all.

Back
Top Bottom