newbie ... design planning

80% of the poo is directly under the roost but what about cleaning the other 20%?

It would make for far less use of pine chips though...Hmmm. I'm in the process of building the permenant coop for winter and still tossing about ideas in my head. I like the idea of a poop tray but think I'll stick with 2 inches of pine chip bedding.

A large compressed bag of wood chips is less than $7 at my local Agway and has lasted 4 months with shoveling it out every 2 weeks to the compost pile.

Last edited:
I like the idea. I would not use plastic. Blank newsprint instead. But wouldn't be easier to just cover the poo board with linoleum or aluminum and scrape it into a bucket?

Nice sketch!
4chsmu1.gif

I have vinyl flooring under the floor of my entire hen house and one of the big doors opens right behind their roost. With a bit of shavings it cleans up in a second--swish with a brush--clean! My house is almost 3 feet off the ground so I just put something under it to catch the shavings and droppings (wheelbarrow, garbage bucket, whatever) and into the composter it goes. Paper would work better and is more environmentally friendly. Another idea for a board is to just put a small handful of shavings to cover the vinyl and the droppings will come off with ease and not bother with a roll of paper. I can see how it looks pretty slick but not sure its worth the trouble. You can certainly try it but I wouldn't spend the money on special paper and just use a sheet or two of newspaper if you can find it without harmful color in it.

Back
Top Bottom