Newbie fears first hatch failed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by psymbiosis, Jul 23, 2010.

1. psymbiosis

psymbiosis Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    I am on day 28 with Rio Grande Turkeys and day 21 with Maran eggs in the same incubator. This is my first hatch. I followed everything neurotically, but one day I did have a temperature spike to 104. I do not know what happened as I had not touched the settings. One turkey hatched early on day 26 and died. So far today I have not even one egg pipped. Do you think my eggs are not going to hatch? I put the eggs in right around this time of day so I thought I would see something by now...

2. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    Give it a couple more days before you say it failed... I'm on day 23 with a couple leghorn eggs right now!

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I have seen several people that say their marans eggs hatch a day or two later than their other chickens. And I think turkeys are 30 days? well, 28-30 I thought. So keep those fingers crossed and don't give up hope yet [​IMG]

4. psymbiosis

Jul 23, 2010
    OK, and I should probably stop looking at the incubator every 15 minutes LOL. I will give it a couple more days before I start freaking.

5. psymbiosis

Jul 23, 2010
    Update--still no eggs hatched other than the one early hatch. I think I need to start over and just try some of my mutt eggs (I have 2 Maran roos and several breeds of hens). I am very disappointed. Sigh. I will be back here pestering before I set any more on.

6. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    If you believe no more will hatch, you may want to crack open the non-hatchers and take a look through the eggtopsy thread to find out if there is some factor you may be able to change next time. If you can't find a similar cause there, pictures would help us determine a different cause and be helpful to others.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=363717&p=1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by