Newbie from Arizona

greenwithin

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 28, 2010
Pearce, Arizona
Hello, my name is Michelle. I am a stay at home mom with six kids. All in middle school or high school. I am married to a fantastic man and have 2 great dogs, a ridgeback/chow mix named Maahes and a purebred boxer named Vishous. We just purchased a home on a little under two and a half acres in Pearce, Arizona. I have wanted my own little place where I could raise & grow most, if not, all the food my family needs. I have wanted chickens for so long, but the neighbors where we lived before would not agree. Now I have lots of space & almost no neighbors. We do not have chickens yet, but we want them for eggs and meat. I am converting an old shed into my coop. The interior is about 10 × 7. We are planning on free ranging, but I am also building a run that will give my girls over 20 square feet outside, until we are ready to free range. This forum is the best. I have learnt so much here. I look forward to learning more.

Michelle

I live in Flagstaff, Az, and last March I got my first batch of chickens! It has been such a learning experience for me! i am still learning, as one of my chickens laid her very first egg 4 days ago, and has faithfull given me three more! (at 10:30 to be precise). It will always be a learning process, but it is very fun!! Are you going to raise yours from chicks?
That's what i did! it was so much fun watching them grow!!! Anyway you do it, I will assure you that you will have the time of your life watching and caring for them! Good Luck!!!
wee.gif

That is so exciting. I want them now:D Yes I will be raising them from chicks. The wait is terrible, but I know once I have them it will have been worth it.

Michelle

Welcome!
frow.gif
Isn't it great to plan ways to be more sustainable? I'm finishing up canning season now here in Pennsylvania. This is my first time with chickens. I got day old chicks in the mail in June.
jumpy.gif
They are so fun to watch grow. I'm still waiting for my first egg. The girls are just 17 weeks. A few could start laying soon, but most will take another 4 or 5 weeks. Have fun picking out breeds and getting your flock together! Congratulations and best of luck with your new place!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom