Newbie from California with a surprise Pheasant

Eggin 'Em On

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 6, 2012
Oh boy, here I go into chicken-land!
big_smile.png

I will be getting my chickens later this spring, but I'm joining the forum now due to questions I have about an unexpected visitor to my yard this week. A beautiful ring-necked pheasant showed up 3 days ago. I thought he was just passing through but he's still here 3 days later! I live in an old section of town, 1/4 acre, with a small pond, lots of native plants and other wild birds & critters but... a PHEASANT?

He's been getting bird seed that's dropped from some feeders I just this week filled. I'm sure he's getting water from the pond. Looks healthy. I am honored that he chose to visit, but am curious how long he might stay. Anybody have thoughts on this? Do you think he's just passing through, getting a little R&R on his way to wherever? By the way, he doesn't seem put out by us quietly approaching up to 20 feet away. Might he be an escapee? And is it legal to keep native game birds? (I don't want to catch him, just help him stay safe till he continues on his journey.)

Thanks for your thoughts on how to keep Mr. Pheasant happy. Look forward to talking 'chickens' when I get my girls.

Eggin 'Em On :

Oh boy, here I go into chicken-land!
big_smile.png

I will be getting my chickens later this spring, but I'm joining the forum now due to questions I have about an unexpected visitor to my yard this week. A beautiful ring-necked pheasant showed up 3 days ago. I thought he was just passing through but he's still here 3 days later! I live in an old section of town, 1/4 acre, with a small pond, lots of native plants and other wild birds & critters but... a PHEASANT?

He's been getting bird seed that's dropped from some feeders I just this week filled. I'm sure he's getting water from the pond. Looks healthy. I am honored that he chose to visit, but am curious how long he might stay. Anybody have thoughts on this? Do you think he's just passing through, getting a little R&R on his way to wherever? By the way, he doesn't seem put out by us quietly approaching up to 20 feet away. Might he be an escapee? And is it legal to keep native game birds? (I don't want to catch him, just help him stay safe till he continues on his journey.)

Thanks for your thoughts on how to keep Mr. Pheasant happy. Look forward to talking 'chickens' when I get my girls.

welcome-byc.gif
I think you need a permit in most states for them, but I'm not really sure.​

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from Washington State glad you joined us!
Looks like the pheasant needed a good meal!

Back
Top Bottom