Newbie from Central Oklahoma

brezbyme

Songster
Jan 27, 2018
Hello everyone! I got my first chickens 5 days ago, on Tuesday. I went to a hatchery and got 5 Barred Rocks, 5 Black Australorps and 5 Buff Orpingtons. On Friday, I got 5 Ameraucanas from a local lumber yard. Everyone seems healthy and happy. There is a lot of chirping going on but it seems to be social.
I used an old baby crib to set them up. The heat lamp in on one end and they go back an forth from the cool end to the warm end. They are in my sunroom so morning sun shines in on the crib. I'm hoping this setup will be big enough for a few more weeks as we get the hen house set up.
IMG_0645.jpg

Hello everyone! I got my first chickens 5 days ago, on Tuesday. I went to a hatchery and got 5 Barred Rocks, 5 Black Australorps and 5 Buff Orpingtons. On Friday, I got 5 Ameraucanas from a local lumber yard. Everyone seems healthy and happy. There is a lot of chirping going on but it seems to be social.
I used an old baby crib to set them up. The heat lamp in on one end and they go back an forth from the cool end to the warm end. They are in my sunroom so morning sun shines in on the crib. I'm hoping this setup will be big enough for a few more weeks as we get the hen house set up.View attachment 1291799
Hello, and welcome to the family!
That's an awesome set up. You may want to make a screen of some sort for the top. Those lil buggers will be flying out in no time!;)
And one question..is that pine or cedar bedding it's hard tell in the pic..:hmm

Hello, and welcome to the family!
That's an awesome set up. You may want to make a screen of some sort for the top. Those lil buggers will be flying out in no time!;)
And one question..is that pine or cedar bedding it's hard tell in the pic..:hmm

Pine bedding. I worked pretty diligently to know what to do, and what not to do. Read not to use cedar somewhere so I'm not. I put down paper towels the first few days but went to the shavings yesterday. It smells much better! I was getting really worried that I would have to start changing the towels every few hours!

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.
I'm noticing that none of the chicks are under your heat lamp, I even see some huddled as far away from it as possible.
Double check the temp in there...it may be too hot.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.
I'm noticing that none of the chicks are under your heat lamp, I even see some huddled as far away from it as possible.
Double check the temp in there...it may be too hot.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

I did check about 30 minutes ago and raised the lamp up higher. I hadn't factored in the sun heating the other end up, too.

Pine bedding. I worked pretty diligently to know what to do, and what not to do. Read not to use cedar somewhere so I'm not. I put down paper towels the first few days but went to the shavings yesterday. It smells much better! I was getting really worried that I would have to start changing the towels every few hours!
Fantastic! You've done your homework!
Congratulations btw.. they are cuties!

Back
Top Bottom