newbie from Chesapeake, VA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by branston, Jun 7, 2011.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Hi there, my family and I hatched our very first chicks April 1st. Out of 24 eggs we had 15 hatch. That was it.....we were hooked! We then got a couple of Rhode Island Reds and were given a Brahma, these three are 5 weeks now. Our roosters have just started to crow and by the looks of some green tail feathers, we have about 8 roosters! We raised our chicks as pets so these boys are very friendly. I need good homes for at least 4 of them if anyone is interested. We went to see someone to see if they could take a rooster off us and ended up walking out with 6 Silkies (all hens)!
    We love our chickens. My 8 year old daughter even said "Mom, I never knew that sitting and walking in poop could be so much fun"!
    We have learnt so much about chickens over the last 6 months and wanted to share some of our experiences. At three weeks old we had one chick that stopped eating and drinking. We took her to the vet and he gave us Lafeber's Critiacl Care food that we syringe fed her for a week. We isolated Sophie for around three weeks and slowly, with the help of a dog crate, we introduced her back into the flock. She is now healthy and thriving and running around with the others. We also have a crooked beak chick that can eat but doesn't seem to be able to get quite enough so the vet gave us Lafeber's Nutritional support for long term care. We syringe feed this little chick three times a day along with another syringe full of organic peas, carrot and spinach baby food. This chick is also doing great now and is the family favourite.
    So glad to be a part of this group!

2. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I love it - You have the chicken fever [​IMG] - unrealted to bird flu [​IMG]

What type of chickens did you originally hatch before you got thr RIRs?

Here is a list of famous chickens and famous people who have chickens:

http://www.beaktime.com/information.php

4. ccshambhala

ccshambhala Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'd advertise the roosters @ your local feed store - pics help [​IMG] I drive to your neck of the woods (relatively speaking) to St Bride's feed store from time to time - great place & people [​IMG]

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Hello and [​IMG]

I am so glad you decided to join us. You will love it here.

6. jcf3202

jcf3202 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Pennsylvania!

7. Wileyps1

Wileyps1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Pennsdale, PA
    [​IMG] fromPA [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Congrats on your hatch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by