Newbie from down under

Oz Chick

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Hi there, though i have been reading this site for about a year, I have finally joined in, call me a late bloomer....

G'day, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

Always room for more Aussies here - we have a large community with their thread "Australia - six states and one funny little island." in case you get homesick.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Glad you joined us.

Thanks guys. I have 8 chickens of which two are roosters. Four hens we took on when we bought our house and i have no idea what they are. They are small but not bantams I think. I also hatched some australorps (2 boys and 2 girls). I am currently incubating some barnevelders. I love the large breeds, so homely looking.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Thanks guys. I have 8 chickens of which two are roosters. Four hens we took on when we bought our house and i have no idea what they are. They are small but not bantams I think. I also hatched some australorps (2 boys and 2 girls). I am currently incubating some barnevelders. I love the large breeds, so homely looking.

Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours), and they are excellent layers of large, brown eggs. You might consider either removing one rooster from your flock or else getting some more hens. The recommended rooster to hen ratio is 1 rooster for every 10 hens as too many roosters can be very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. Australorps are gentle as roosters go, but a 3 hen for every 1 rooster ratio is pushing the envelop even with Australorps. Good luck with your flock.

Thanks. We are planning to get rid of one very soon. Just waiting for the right time. The flock all seem ok, but I am aware it isn't the best set up.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom