Newbie from East Texas

tmeg

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Hello All!

I have been reading forum after forum staying up WAY too late each night! We don't have any hens yet but are in the process of building a coop. So far we have three walls with a roof up and plan on using hardware mesh for the open fourth side. The coop is 12 feet wide and 7 feet deep. Of the 7 feet, 3 of them are also going to be open with the mesh. This presents us with a challenge for the roosting bars/poop deck. I want the ladies to be comfortable and have plenty of room out of direct winds but we also need to be able to use the outer structure as it is. Any recommendations or ideas to help modify the inside would be amazing!

A little information about weather: we are in Texas, our lot is wooded which helps with winds (prevailing winds coming from the S/SE)

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) My wife and I were both raised in east Texas. Your coop is very nice and appears to be well thought out. I'm glad to see you are planning to use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. Too many predators can either tear through chicken wire or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. Are you planning to free range your chickens? If so I would not leave the fourth side open with only hardware cloth over it as your birds will need shelter from cold drafts in the winter. Also enclosing that wall will give you extra surface for attaching roosting bars. If you are not going to free range, you need to enclose it anyway and attach a run ti your coop that is at least 2 1/2 times the size of your coop. I don't know how many chickens you are planning to get, but the minimum required space is 4 sq. ft. of floor space per bird (more is better), and 10 sq. ft. of ground space per bird (again more is better). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens are you planning on getting?

Welcome to BackYard Chickens! Let us know if we can help. Looks like your new chickens will be happy
smile.png

Hi :welcome Glad you joined the flock. More than sure your chickens will be happy in that super coop you have under construction and what a lovely setting you have it in. Good luck with your new chickens in the future :frow

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Wow, beautiful coop in the making!! You might want to stop by our coops pages here for some ideas on how to furnish the insides of the coop...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Make sure to put plenty of ventilation in your eaves to remove all moisture and bad air and bring in fresh oxygen. 1 square foot per bird of venting is the recommended size

Good luck on the coop build and welcome to our flock!

When I see all those trees I think two things. 1) trees will make it convenient for raccoons to "drop in" unexpectedly.& raptors will have be at the front of the buffet line. 2) when high winds and storms come up, big trees blow down often, flattening everything near them. But that is just my perspective after reading posts on many of my favorite threads - during hurricanes, tornadoes. earthquakes, floods, fires, mudslides.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Ventilation, light\windows, clean, dry and appropriate bedding, roosts, nests, and space are all the essentials of every coop.

Back
Top Bottom