Newbie from Eastern Iowa

jeanaq

In the Brooder
May 19, 2017
Eastern Iowa
I'm new to BYC and chicken owning, so I thought it would be good to introduce myself! :)

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am new to owning chickens! I first discovered my interest in them a few months ago when my FFA advisor put me into the poultry judging team for the state convention. At first, I thought, "Why did she put me in that? I don't know anything about poultry!" but then, the more I learned, the more I fell in love! My chapter's poultry judging team ended up getting a silver overall (pretty good for a team of all freshman with little to no prior poultry experience!), and I ended up getting in the top 30 of out of around 200 people in the state on the poultry online test we took before the hands-on judging. A couple of weeks later, my ag class got baby chicks (every year, ag 1 students get a chick to have at school, and then, if they can, get to take their chicken home with a chicken coop the class helps build!) It's a really neat project and I'm so thankful it started my love of chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I haven't gotten to take them home yet (that won't be until the last day of school, in a week), but I will be taking home two. Mine is named Sunny, and the other, I'm not sure of. It's another kid's chicken, but he can't take his home.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I think they're a cross between Rhode Island Red and New Hampshire Red. They are both the same breed.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
My FFA advisor said BYC is "the place to go for EVERYTHING you need to know about raising chickens!" I also found it while researching about taking care of chickens.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love reading, writing, geocaching, Pokémon Go-ing, sewing, and color guard.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I'm currently a freshman in high school (and a Greenhand in FFA), and I have a week until I'm done with freshman year. So, I'm almost a sophomore. I have a three-years-younger brother who is so excited to finally meet the chickens! I named my chick
IMG_0404.JPG
IMG_0405.JPG
Sunny after Sunny from A Series of Unfortunate Events. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! :D I've attached some pictures of Sunny too.

Attachments

• IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    395.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0374.JPG
    IMG_0374.JPG
    470 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    307.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    441.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    506.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/learning-center.11/ and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

CT

:welcome so glad you decided to join us.

Great intro :clap. Thank you for sharing your story. It's so refreshing to see a young person with interests outside of texting. ( I had to look up the geocaching - that sounds like fun).

Sunny is a perfect name and she's lovely.

Back
Top Bottom