Newbie from Georgia

Kgbao

Songster
Mar 31, 2020
West Georgia
Howdy from Georgia

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Me and my wife are not completely new to chickens but it’s been more years then I can remember, since I’ve had them. As for when we got this new flock well today and that’s kind of a funny story. I’ve been talking about getting chics for several months and building a coop and etc..

Well today I had a doctors appointment and I seen on Craigslist a local guy had baby chicks, I made the comment to my wife see they even have them local, out of no where she says fine call and find out if they have what you want, you can only imagine my udder surprise. So we ended up going out and looking, he had said he had 8 RIRs female left, we get there and ended up with 2 RIRs and 4 lavender opringtons. I want more RIRs but I guess I’ll have to wait, till i find some (any ideas??).

So now I’m thinking well great, I don’t have a brooder box ready, again thank goodness for BYC, I ran by Walmart and tractor supply and grabbed the things needed to build a quick and easy one till I can make a real one. So now we are home brooder box set up and chicks have made them self’s at home already. They have found the water and the food, and are running all over the box.

One has a name already, my daughter named her on the way home “Loud Mouth” she chirps twice as loud a the rest.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

6 and wanting 3-4 more.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Rhode Island reds
lavender Opringtons

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Well as of January I’m now disabled and can’t walk this will give me something to keep my self occupied and something to do with my daughter to have some quality time with her.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Usually Motorcycle, camping, fishing, family things.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Family still in the house :D my wife, my daughter (16), and myself. My oldest daughter just moved back in after relationship troubles she is 22 and has a 2 year old.

We have 2 dogs, our little man is a Maltese about 6 yrs old and my daughter brought here huskey/shepherd mix 16 month old bundle of puppy and energy home also, he doesn’t realize how big he is lol.

By trade I am a computer programmer and robotics engineer, but like I said that’s on hold right now lol.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

I’ve been secretly snooping around and reading about coop sizes and chicken types for months now. Now that I’ve jumped in the water, I figured I’d sign up say hello, and be able to chat, to get better ideas and thoughts. Since I now have a coop to build in the next 4-5 weeks..

Attachments

• 992AB94E-B21E-4CD4-BB96-A61BAF17C1E9.jpeg
    992AB94E-B21E-4CD4-BB96-A61BAF17C1E9.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 2
Howdy from Georgia

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Me and my wife are not completely new to chickens but it’s been more years then I can remember, since I’ve had them. As for when we got this new flock well today and that’s kind of a funny story. I’ve been talking about getting chics for several months and building a coop and etc..

Well today I had a doctors appointment and I seen on Craigslist a local guy had baby chicks, I made the comment to my wife see they even have them local, out of no where she says fine call and find out if they have what you want, you can only imagine my udder surprise. So we ended up going out and looking, he had said he had 8 RIRs female left, we get there and ended up with 2 RIRs and 4 lavender opringtons. I want more RIRs but I guess I’ll have to wait, till i find some (any ideas??).

So now I’m thinking well great, I don’t have a brooder box ready, again thank goodness for BYC, I ran by Walmart and tractor supply and grabbed the things needed to build a quick and easy one till I can make a real one. So now we are home brooder box set up and chicks have made them self’s at home already. They have found the water and the food, and are running all over the box.

One has a name already, my daughter named her on the way home “Loud Mouth” she chirps twice as loud a the rest.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

6 and wanting 3-4 more.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Rhode Island reds
lavender Opringtons

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Well as of January I’m now disabled and can’t walk this will give me something to keep my self occupied and something to do with my daughter to have some quality time with her.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Usually Motorcycle, camping, fishing, family things.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Family still in the house :D my wife, my daughter (16), and myself. My oldest daughter just moved back in after relationship troubles she is 22 and has a 2 year old.

We have 2 dogs, our little man is a Maltese about 6 yrs old and my daughter brought here huskey/shepherd mix 16 month old bundle of puppy and energy home also, he doesn’t realize how big he is lol.

By trade I am a computer programmer and robotics engineer, but like I said that’s on hold right now lol.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

I’ve been secretly snooping around and reading about coop sizes and chicken types for months now. Now that I’ve jumped in the water, I figured I’d sign up say hello, and be able to chat, to get better ideas and thoughts. Since I now have a coop to build in the next 4-5 weeks..
Welcome! I'm new to BYC too! Lots of info here!!:D

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Yes, you have a coop to start building right now! It takes time to build a coop and the chicks grow much faster than you can build a predator proof coop!
And look out for cockerels in all those "pullet" chicks you bought. It takes a long time to develop the reliable skill of vent sexing chicks and many people will tell you that they are selling you all female chicks when they really have no idea so you may have some boys in there. Good luck!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Yes, you have a coop to start building right now! It takes time to build a coop and the chicks grow much faster than you can build a predator proof coop!
And look out for cockerels in all those "pullet" chicks you bought. It takes a long time to develop the reliable skill of vent sexing chicks and many people will tell you that they are selling you all female chicks when they really have no idea so you may have some boys in there. Good luck!
Ya I’m worried about that really didn’t want any cockerels, so I guess I will have to wait and see because I don’t know how to tell the difference on baby’s.

Back
Top Bottom