1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie from IL

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 9jewels9, Apr 6, 2009.

1. 9jewels9

9jewels9 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Hello everyone, I am new to chickens and have a few questions.
    I have 3 white leghorns(8weeks old), 6 golden comets(5weeks old) and 2 EE(3 weeks old) The leghorns and comets are in the coop together. When can I ad my EE to the flock? I also have a question about feed. I have gotten my feed from Rural King-they only have 2 types -starter/grower for chicks up to 6 weeks old and layer for laying hens. What do i feed in between time???

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

3. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Hi and welcome from VA!

I usually mix the starter grower with the layer for a while before switching to pure layer feed.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hello and [​IMG] from South Carolina!

Since the Leghorns and Comets have probably already established the pecking order, it would be a good idea to add the EE's only after they are fully feathered. If the weather permits, you might try putting them out for a bit in a cage or kennel, so they can at least get aquainted. Either way, you are likely to have some fighting, so be prepared to supervise and rescue if needed!

I feed my chickens chick starter until they start laying, because it's all I can find here. They usually start laying around 5-6 months here. Then they get lay pellets.

Good luck, [​IMG]

5. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Welcome from Texas!

6. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Welcome from Illinois!

We feed chick starter until they're almost ready to start laying. We mix chick starter and layer feed for a couple of weeks, and then put them only on layer.

7. 9jewels9

9jewels9 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Thanks for all the info. This is a great site. and YES i am now addicted to chickens, can't wait for the eggs

8. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] From NC

9. Hello & [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by