Newbie from Long Island

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Su Doh Nim, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Su Doh Nim

Su Doh Nim New Egg

Oct 24, 2012
    Hi! I'm having a hard time trying to find some new chickens; been stalking craigslist for a while, but the few chickens listed go so quickly. Does anyone know of a place to get them locally, or do I need to wait until spring? I'm not picky about breeds, just looking for hens under a year old. I'm in Middle Island.

2. Cheeky Chick

Cheeky Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Hi! Welcome to the forum, there's loads of peeps (the human kind) from Long Island as well-many from Suffolk, like myself!

Come on over to our "Southern NY" thread and hang out with us!

As far as chickens, at this point, I've seen a few ads on Craigslist for younger laying hens, mostly for baby chicks-you have to wait for early spring-but you can order from an online hatchery.

See ya on the Southern NY thread!! I'm Rosie!![​IMG]

3. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Have you checked PetFinder? I know that sounds a little odd, but occasionally I see some on there. Have you tried the hatcheries? I am waiting until Spring just because I need time to get everything set up and ready before the chicks some. I ordered chicks once before when I wasn't ready and it was a disaster. I don't want to lose my chickens this time. It unexpectedly turned cold too quickly and I wasnt prepared to keep my chicks warm enough. They all froze, I was heartbroken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by