Newbie from Michigan says hello

Jun 20, 2022
Hi, I’m Jen from SE Michigan.
1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am new to owning chickens, though my uncle has been raising them for as long as I can remember. I just closed on a house on May 31 and once we take possession of the house (sellers have a 45 day leaseback) I will start taking care of the ones that come with the house!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

None at the moment, but from the photos in the listing, it seems like we’ll have at least 5 or 6 chickens!

(3) What breeds do you have?

Will find out once we take possession of the house…

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I’m looking forward to having fresh eggs, and being able to give them my vegetable scraps. Also I will like that they will get me out of the house everyday to check on them!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I enjoy reading, cooking and gardening. I love nature and I’m excited to be moving out of the suburbs to a more rural community.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I’ve been married for 2 years, come October. Been with my husband for 8 years. We moved in with my parents in May 2020 to help my mom take care of my dad who had dementia. She was having a hard time taking care of both the house and my dad. We got married in October 2020 in a small, intimate ceremony and I was so happy my dad could be there. He passed away in December 2020.

We just purchased a house that is about 5 acres and it came with a chicken coop and chickens! So I’m becoming a chicken mama a bit sooner than expected! lol
My mom is going to be moving in with us as soon as she sells her house.

We plan on having a big garden as well as planting some fruit trees. And eventually having more chickens and maybe some goats.

We have one dog, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, who is 9 years old. He’s an indoor pup, so I’m hoping he and the chickens will live in harmony.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found out about BYC on Reddit. Thought what better way to learn more about chickens!

Picture_20220616_214223757.jpg.jpg

Thank.you for your introduction, it's nice to meet you.. I'm sorry for your loss :hugs Wishing the best of luck on the house and chickens!

Hello Jen, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
It was very good of you to move in with your mother to help her take care of your father. It's an unbelievably daunting task to take on the care of a dementia patient by yourself. I'm also very glad to read that he was able to see you married. That meant something to him even if he couldn't show it.

Is there any way for you to have the current owners show you how they are taking care of the flock, give you their ages, names, breeds before they leave?

Congratulations on your new home!

Back
Top Bottom