Newbie from Michigan Thumb Area

Tomcompac

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2016
Hello, I am recently retired and have always wanted to raise chickens. Six weeks ago I picked up 6 pullets. Four Isa Browns, and 2 Australorps. They have done spendidly except when I went away on vacation for a week and had a chicken sitter take over, the 2 Aussies went broody. I have cured them but how long until they start laying again ?

Australorp Broodyness. It's been 2 weeks and still no eggs. Perhaps I used the wrong method. I isolated them one ata a time in an ample sized wire cage off the ground with food and water for exactly 3 days. They then each went back to the flock no problem, but no eggs.

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. My broody takes 3 weeks to resume laying, so it may be reasonable to conclude that it may just depend on both breed and the individual hen. Nothing to worry about IMO but I'm sure the link provided by Redsoxs will be helpful.

Best wishes
Ct

Welcome
frow.gif
, much success with your flock!

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif

Sounds like a lovely flock! Sorry, I'm not sure about the broody. Hopefully the folks over at Behaviors and Egglaying should be able to help you out. I hope they start laying again soon!

Good luck and thanks for joining us!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom