Newbie from MO

dawnak711

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
Hello, everyone! My name's Dawna, and I'm new to BYC (obviously). :)

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Pretty new, yes. We got our first chickens this past spring. We're actually on our second flock. A raccoon got into our chicken tractor (which we received from a well meaning friend) and took out the first. After that incident, Hubby built the Fort Knox of chicken coops. That was in May. We purchased 5 chickens that were 7-8 weeks old and a 2 year old hen.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We're down to 4 chickens. One of our neighbor's dogs got loose.

(3) What breeds do you have?

We have a Cuckoo Marans and the other 3 are Buff Orphingtons.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I was doing a search trying to determine the sex of one of our BOs and our Cuckoo Marans. When I discovered that many of the questions I had were turning up results from BYC, I decided I needed to join the site. :)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Horses, reading, writing, crocheting, photography, and a whole lot more I can't think of at the moment. lol

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I'm mom to 3 two-legged kids (7, 16, 20) and a whole slew of four-legged ones. I've been married to DH for over 23 years. He just retired from the military after 25 years of service in April. My eldest child just finished up Basic Training for the National Guard and is currently in AIT training to become an MP. I currently live in MO. We moved here after Hubby retired. It is our intention to develop our little piece of land and homestead. Our chickens are part of our experimentation with poultry. I'm in the process of getting re-acclimated with horses through a local trainer, and we didn't do too bad with our square-foot gardens this year. It's allllll a process.

Anywhoo, I look forward to getting with some of you folks and talking chickens. :)

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

welcome-byc.gif
please thank your husband for his years in service and also your son. If you go to "where am I, where are you,' in the social forum you can locate and post on your state thread. You may even find chickeners in your neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom