Newbie from Montana!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by snowdayzed, Aug 15, 2011.

1. snowdayzed

snowdayzed New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    Hello,
    I just joined BYC and have had a blast surfing... so much information! It's great to see Montanans on here, too. I'm new to raising chickens and got our first batch (31 chicks) from the local farm/ranch store in March. I wasn't even sure if it were possible to raise chickens here as the wind blows. We've actually had the wind clocked here at 152 mph before it blew down the town's windguage and blew off our roof. Particularly where we live, there aren't even trees. Not much grows except sagebrush and a variety of grass/weeds.

We built a sturdy coop, will insulate it this fall as we get -20 to -40 temps. Our winters last at least 9 months and the wind will create huge snow drifts that, in the past, have snowed us in for up to 2 weeks. Our chickens are allowed to free-range with supervision (wolf, coyote, large cats, golden eagles, bear, etc...) and otherwise stay in a large yard with an 8 foot high chain-linked fence. We scrounged for old wood and we able to build a windbreak on two sides of the yard that stands 10 feet high. All our chickens still have their feathers attached and are laying. We've decided chickens are survivors though we have yet to make it through our first winter with them.

Out of 31 chicks, 8 grew up to be roos. So 6 got the ax. This week 35 meat birds arrive (with 1 free exotic chick). I wondered if that is a free exotic MEAT chick or REGULAR chick. How does one raise just one bird? It'll be months till we can put her in with the rest of the flock in the coop!

Anyway, that's part of our story. Thank you to BYC for this GREAT site!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wife, mother of 14; also we have 2 dogs, 1 cat, 30 fish, 23 hens 2 roos: buff orp, slvr-laced wyandott, red star, slvr leghorn, sicilian buttercup, delaware, black Jersey giant, buff plymouth rock, Hew Hamp red, and RI red.

2. 5LadyHens

5LadyHens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    Stinson Beach, CA
    [​IMG]

Hello Snowdayzed! Your introduction was fun to read! It filled my head with so many terrific images.
    You must keep us posted on how your chickens do with your cold winter days ahead. You'll get
    the best advice in the world in this forum. Happy you're part of the BYC family now! Lisa

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG] I'm glad you found us! [​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OOOOH welcome! My husband always says he'd like to move to Montana. That weather sounds crazy though! Sounds like you're doing a wonderful job with your chickens, and I wish you much good luck getting through your first winter with poultry.

Ohio winters are harsh too. Lots of snow, wind and cold, but nothing as harsh as your weather.

Take care, and so glad you joined!

Sharon

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! I envy you living in the beautiful state of Montana! I would love to end up there one day! Glad you joined the forum and best of luck with your birds! [​IMG] Hope the wind doesn't blow their feathers off!![​IMG]

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you glad. [​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

10. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    [​IMG] This is a great site with great people. You will find lots of help and info here! What part of Montana are you from? We were in Montana just about 2 yrs ago. We spent a month there! Loved it! My DH was working there. We were clear up in Zortman! No-man's land! Went to Glacier park, the most beautiful place I've ever been. Lucky you, (except for the long cold winter!) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by