Newbie from NC

blondvet

Chirping
10 Years
May 19, 2012
North Carolina
Hey y'all! (that's how everybody says 'hi' around here)

I've been skulking around BYC for a year or so and have finally decided to join. I'm new to chickens and have been reading and learning and soaking up info like a sponge. My husband has been working on a chicken house for a few months now and it's nearing completion. (He says it's too over-engineered to be called a coop. I agree.) We are all excited and are looking forward having a few little fluffy butts running around. I imagine that they will turn into a few more, then a few more.... We're thinking about Marans or Welsummers and a few Ameraucanas. We have young children, so we need pretty nice chickens. What do you think of those breeds? Would those guys be good choices? Any other suggestions? I'm pretty excited about good looking, nice chickens that lay beautiful large size eggs. Soooooo, no pressure.

The kids are 7, 5, almost 2, and the final installment is expected in late October. We also have a couple house dogs, house cats, house parrots, and fish in a tank. Some days, it's a little nuts around here. Mostly it's the perfect mix of quiet and chaos.

I'm also an avid baker (hence the requirement for large eggs!) and reader, when time permits. Sometimes I can sneak up on some yarn and crochet, but that's usually only in the winter. Oh, yeah, and I work. Geez, no wonder I go to bed before 9. I'm busier than I thought.

We live right next to the Middle of Nowhere in eastern North Carolina. If you live in NC and the phrase 'Hurricane Irene' still makes your face pucker, then we're probably just about neighbors.

So thanks, everyone for all the info. I'm not a big poster, but I'll join in on occasion.

Cathy

Welcome to the forum Cathy! We have a small 'sustainable homestead' 90 miles north of Atlanta in Ellijay - our home and pasture has a view of the
Blue Ridge Mountains. We're 'almost neighbors' for goodness sake. I was
born and raised in Louisville KY and we said, y'all as well!

We have so many 'rescue' pets we've nearly lost count so can relate to you
there! Our kids are grown but have grandkids staying all the time so also have to be careful not to have or keep 'attack roosters' which you will find can come in ANY breed - that's just the way it is.

We raise, breed, incubate and sell Plymouth Barred Rocks - highly recommend them for great large brown eggs and lots of them! One of our
roosters had to go to 'freezer camp' as he began attacking my husband
but the other rooster is such a sweetheart. At one time we had 54 BRs through a mistake with our order and are now down to our BR flock of 12 hens and one roo.

I love Welsummers and crave those mahogany colored speckled eggs so
recently purchased 17 chicks from a local breeder and am looking forward
to seeing how they grow out and produce.

Elaine
Mountain View Farms
Ellijay, GA

Welcome to the forum! Its definitely a wealth of knowledge here...Im glad you joined!
frow.gif

We are also in NC but on the western 1/2 near Winston Salem and Greensboro.

Poultry is new to us as well so I dont have alot of experience with multiple breeds but our Buff Orpingtons have been gentle calm and sweet with our 8 yr old. Ive been definitely wanting some Easter Eggers tho lol.
tongue.png

Welcome to the forum Cathy! We have a small 'sustainable homestead' 90 miles north of Atlanta in Ellijay - our home and pasture has a view of the
Blue Ridge Mountains. We're 'almost neighbors' for goodness sake. I was
born and raised in Louisville KY and we said, y'all as well!

We have so many 'rescue' pets we've nearly lost count so can relate to you
there! Our kids are grown but have grandkids staying all the time so also have to be careful not to have or keep 'attack roosters' which you will find can come in ANY breed - that's just the way it is.

We raise, breed, incubate and sell Plymouth Barred Rocks - highly recommend them for great large brown eggs and lots of them! One of our
roosters had to go to 'freezer camp' as he began attacking my husband
but the other rooster is such a sweetheart. At one time we had 54 BRs through a mistake with our order and are now down to our BR flock of 12 hens and one roo.

I love Welsummers and crave those mahogany colored speckled eggs so
recently purchased 17 chicks from a local breeder and am looking forward
to seeing how they grow out and produce.

Elaine
Mountain View Farms
Ellijay, GA
Elaine, thank so much. Your post gave me a chuckle. I've only lived in NC for about 5 years. I grew up in Jeffersonville, IN. Lou,KY was my stomping ground! Perhaps when your Welsummers start producing, I can get a few from you! In the meantime, I'll definitely consider the Rocks.

Back
Top Bottom