Newbie from Newman in Western Australia

Sweetybell

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2017
Newman, Western Australia
Hi everyone, I'm all new to being a duckling's momma.
We live in Newman, Western Australia (which is in the northern middle part of WA). I live here with My hubby, 5yo daughter and two maltese fur babies.

We found hin/her outside in the dark. Not sure where it came from and I haven't seen any Mallards in town. There's waterbirds at the dam, but that's about 10km outside of town. So we decided to raise the little one. We only got the one. So after a week that we've had the little one, my one maltese is slowly getting use to it. The other maltese was fine with the baby from the start.

I didn't know anything about duck, what to feed, how to raise or anything, but thanks to this site, I've found a lot of info.

I just wanted to introduce myself, and say thanks for accepting me. What a great and informative forum.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Good for you! I'll start by saying that I don't know anything about ducks, but I would suggest doing a lot of research. Especially because I know that you are not supposed to raise a single chick (Of the chicken variety
lol.png
) by itself, I would suggest doing some research on that, too. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Someone who knows more about ducks than me will be sure to answer!
Good luck!
-M

Welcome to Backyard chickens. You can also post on "Australia, six stated and one funny little island." You may find Bycer's living near you. Maybe even someone with ducklings. It would be good that you got another duckling or two around the same size/age so it has company. You can ask your duck related questions on the "Duck thread." It would be good if someone could sex the duck for you, so you know if you should add females or not.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Hello, and welcome to the forum! I am fixing to celebrate my first year on here, and I have loved it so much, I hope you will too! There is tons of great info and friendly folks, so pull up a chair and make yourself at home! :frow

~Cuz

Howdy neighbour
frow.gif
Welcome!

What a little cutie!

This is a link to the Duck Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks and this is a link to the Aussie Thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-that-funny-little-island/32710#post_18186122

Please do pop in and say hello when you get a chance and yes, as mentioned, there are Duck people on that thread also. However, I do not think there are any close to Newman.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom