Newbie from NorCal

Klinelady

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 4, 2014
Hello. We are new to BYC and to chickens in general. We have 4 ladies (well I'm not 100% we don't have a rooster )about 6 mo old. We have gotten out first daily egg and are loving watching the ladies roam the yard. I have been reading posts on BYC for months and glad I finally became a member. Thanks!!

This is my questionable Lady "big red" the kids named them... We also have little red, blonde, pepper :)

Last edited:
Thanks Kelsie I will post now.... I'm pretty sure she is a he too which makes me sad and slightly concerned thanks again!!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Big Red is a beautiful Rhode Island Red, but I agree with Kelsie2290; he is a rooster. If you'd like a second opinion, definitely post on our What Breed or Gender is This? link. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Besides Big Red and the Buff Orpington in your pics, what kind of chickens are your other two?

Thanks so much! I am really enjoying our flock and said to say I too think she is a he... I am wishing we had started with 6 chickens not 4 since it seems we will have to be saying good by to big red!
Next question will be how to introduce new birds! Ekk

Ya if he wasn't Sooo aggressive I might hang on to him but we just can't risk it with two young kids and many visitors. Defiantly bummed!

Ya if he wasn't Sooo aggressive I might hang on to him but we just can't risk it with two young kids and many visitors. Defiantly bummed!

If you decide to get a rooster, go for a calm and gentle breed (RIR roosters are frequently aggressive). Breeds that have a reputation for being gentle (keep in mind that there are always exceptions with any breed) are Orpingtons, Australorps, Cochins, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles. Also you will need a lot more hens to go with the rooster as the recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. Too many roosters will be very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. I currently have 25 roosters and no hens, and I get loads of eggs without all the aggression, fighting, non-productive mouths to feed, crowing in the middle of the night, biting and plucking of feathers, over-breeding and battering of hens that frequently goes along with having roosters (especially too many). My hens are stress free and enjoying life without any roosters around.

Back
Top Bottom