Newbie from NY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by plmrsix, Aug 13, 2014.

1. plmrsix

plmrsix New Egg

Jul 21, 2014
    Binghamton, NY
    Hello there,

I'm Lisa. I live in Binghamton, NY with my husband & our six children.

My family and I are finally taking the plunge & adding chickens to our household. I've been lurking for a while & I'm eternally to all the amazing information I have viewed from everyone. I've learned so much already. I'm so excited to get started on our chicken adventure.

2. kadoer12

kadoer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2014
    northren new york
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Lisa! Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens are you getting?

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Enjoy this new adventure and welcome to our flock!

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

8. plmrsix

plmrsix New Egg

Jul 21, 2014
    Binghamton, NY
    Thanks everyone [​IMG]

We are looking at cold weather hardy breeds. Our winters are pretty tough here. It's hard to choose because all 6 of my children have their favorites. I think we've narrowed it down to Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpington, Golden or Silver Laced Wyandotte, Easter Egger and my youngest is begging for a Silkie. Not a lot but I think perfect for us. Any advice on what breeds are better, especially with one another?

We're also debating raising them from chicks or getting them local at 17 weeks.

My husband is working on the area for our coop and plans have been selected. I can't wait until construction begins. We are all pretty excited. It's all anyone talks about. My husband seems to think adding chickens to our home is my way of dealing with my own empty nest since our oldest is leaving for the Navy LOL

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Those are all cold hardy breeds, especially the Orpingtons and Wyandottes which are on Alaska Backyard Chickens list of 8 recommended breeds for Alaska. One other breed you might want to consider that is also on Alaska's Backyard Chicken list of recommended breeds in the Black Australorp. They are extremely hardy, both in cold and heat. I've raised them both in northern Kansas where the temperatures dropped to 30 F below zero one winter and in CA where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (123 F once) and in both extremes, they came through like troopers. In addition, they are calm and gentle, and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Whatever breeds you end up getting, good luck with your flock.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Pleased to meet you. I think your youngest would love a silkie, they are generally docile and kids love them. Some even allow themselves to be dressed up and pushed in strollers.
    They also make good housepets - hint , hint, that way you could have your outside chickens and your inside chicken - so you won't get withdrawal symptoms. Doesn't that make sense? There is a very good thread on BYC called "people with housechickens."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by