Newbie From Oklahoma

Turion1973

Chirping
Mar 22, 2018
Ada, Oklahoma
I retired from the US Army about 5 years ago and this spring I graduate college with a teaching degree. The wife and I decided to start raising chickens, mainly to gather eggs for personal consumption. Although, we did decide to go with Bantam Silkies as a hobby. If everything goes great we are considering expanding and maybe start selling some of our chickens. So far we have, Rhode Island Red hens, Plymouth Rock hens, and Bantam Silkies both hens and rosters. I have no experience at all with hatching, but both the wife and I have both been raised on farms so we know a thing or two about chickens. On the other hand, my brother is very experienced in raising and hatching chickens with over 20 years experience.

Howdy:welcome:frow Happy :yato have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)
Thank you for your service!:clap
You are welcome. I and the wife had been talking a long time about getting chickens. Now I don't have to worry about military life. We mainly got hens for the eggs but we are going to raise Silkies for pets and my daughter is thinking about getting into FFA and showing the chickens. This is a very popular around the school here. Showing cattle used to be the popular thing but now the chickens have found their way into the limelight.

:welcome

The Silkies you have should be helpful with hatching your fertile eggs...they are supposed to be great broodys.

Thank you for your service and congrats on your upcoming graduation!
We just got the Silkie eggs in the mail, the sender sent a extra egg. Now we have 4 eggs which are all in good shape. Weird thing is two of the eggs are much larger than the other two.

welcome.gif
Welcome to Backyard chickens!

Are you going to get an incubator? Hatching chicks is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom