Newbie from Salem, Oregon wants to raise chickens in my backyard!

mary4gardens

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 29, 2013
Hello, I am wanting to know the rules and regulations for Salem, Oregon on raising chickens in my backyard. I am trying to become self sufficient by living off of what I grow and raise in my backyard, at the same time I want to learn how to live green.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Have a look here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/3/Laws If your town/area is not there, post in the Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances forum section. Hopefully the laws will be in your favour! If you are interested in green living and self-sufficiency I think you will also enjoy our sister site, www.SufficientSelf.com.

You may have to check with your local government concerning Salem rules.

I would also look at some of the stealth coops. People are pretty clever at keeping poultry on the sly. I lived in the suburbs of San Jose California as a kid and most of my neighbors had stealth chickens. No roosters just hens. Most of us were 4-H'rs. My family did not keep chickens in town but on my street of 40 houses I know of at least 20 of them had chickens because I house- sat and cared for them from time to time.
Mobile tractors, coops painted up to look like sheds and potting tables or garbage can holders.
If you want to learn this is the place

Glad to have you on board the forum! If you search Stealth on the search bar there are many many different versions of stealth coops. You might also want to invest in some outside speakers to cleverly cover egg song.

ya.gif
Caroline from Jax

Last edited:
Thank to all who have welcomed me into this community, you all are amazing. Have a wonderful Monday!

Back
Top Bottom