Newbie greetings, from Cedar Park, Texas :-)

Eggstraordinary

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 21, 2010
Cedar Park
hi fellow chicken-lovers! my name is Shea... i've been reading this forum as a resource for the past year, figured it was time to actually register
tongue.png

my family: husband, 7yo daughter, 1 golden sex link, 1 production red, 3 EEs, 16yo lab/dalmation mix, 7month old golden retriever, 2 tarantulas, 10 hissing cockroaches, 2 dumerils boas, 1 columbian redtail boa. done! we have been smack in the middle of a cookie-cutter neighborhood for a long time, and with all these creatures now we're itching to spread our wings toward the hill country!

we've had more fun with our chickens than we thought we would, and i'm dreaming of the day i can devote at least a half acre to a big, bustling flock. farming was never a part of my childhood, but it makes my soul so happy.

thanks to everyone for making this forum what it is!

Hi I am a newbie to this forum too. Yes this is a great forum. I was wondering simce farming is in your blood what you did to treat injured chickens?

welcome!

i had one of my chickens injured a few months ago by our overly playful puppy
hmm.png
he is a golden retriever, and bird hunting is just instinctual... our birds are very friendly, and our dog ignores them when we're out with him, and is fine in the yard with them for about 10 minutes alone, then just wants to play. so, one day we saw him sitting in the yard with a chicken in front of him, and he had plucked several feathers from her, and torn some skin just above her wing. she was not bitten, skin was just torn from plucking. we washed her (and yelled obscenities at the dog and ourselves for being too lax with him) with hydrogen peroxide really well. my husband and i are good with minor first aid, so i actually stitched her wound closed after it had been thoroughly washed. i used nearly a full bottle, just letting it run slowly for a couple of minutes to flush out any debris. i used alcohol to sterilize my thread, needle, and gloves, and closed it up. we kept her in a crate, separate from the other birds for a few days, to give her time to rest and watch the wound for signs of infection. when we were sure she was healing well, we just put her back with the flock and she has been fine since. she is still our friendliest bird in the bunch, and we do a lot of daily dog/chicken behavior-mingling work now
smile.png

hope that helps! i think the best things for any injured bird are rest separate from the group, and a light washing of hydrogen peroxide.

shea

Back
Top Bottom