Newbie has ?? about converting 3 horse stall to coop

I used one large stall for chickens by covering the openings (metal bars and ceiling - the other sides were solid) with 2" x 2" woven wire. Fortunately we did not have weasels, which would have gotten in through the 2x2 openings. Then I made the chickens a small enclosure inside the stall (around 2' x 6') with 4 mil plastic to keep them warm, and put a dog heater (flat, barely warm plastic pad)on a box inside this small enclosure. On really cold nights I would find the chickens sitting on the dog heater, but mostly they just roosted on a roost inside the plastic enclosure. Since you don't have electricity, you could skip the dog heater & be fine as long as your roost is large and flat so they can sit on their feet. Many racoons visited on the ceiling of the stall as shown by footprints on the plastic that was laid on top of the woven wire, but none got in and I didn't loose a chicken at night when they were locked up in the stall.

I gave the chickens an outside enclosure by putting up chicken wire around a little attached paddock. That didn't work as they just flew up to the top of the fence & out, where I lost 3 to predators. The others always came home at night; I locked the stall door at night.

So, my advice about wire is that chicken wire is not sturdy enough to keep out coons if you have any, and if you have weasles you will need 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch mesh.
Cheers,
N.VA

Back
Top Bottom