Newbie Hatcher and Day 21 is here!

MediGirl1987

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2015
Salmo, BC
Hello Fellow Chicken Hatchers!

Today is HATCH DAY. I am patiently waiting for my little set of eggs to hatch. Quick catch up for you...I started with 13 eggs. Temp from day 1-18 was between 98-102. Honestly most of the time it was at 99 or 100. Humidity, well that was a little tricky. I got so many different humidity level suggestions. Some people said 40-50%, others said 50-60%. The only consistant thing when it comes humidity I have found was at day 18 65% was the goal, though some said 65-70%. Candled Day 7, 14 and 18. One egg was empty, another had a blood ring so out they went day 14. All the others showed progress and movement. Day 18 I set my eggs down on their sides and increased the humidity. I range right now between 64-71% (currently at 70%) and my temp is holding strong at 99-100. Now to my delight on Day 18 some of the eggs were rocking! I was so excited. I was like...hell ya! The next day the eggs were not moving and I got sad, and a little paranoid. Are they dead? Today is hatch day and no pips yet, two eggs I think I see them moving a bit but other then that I haven't seen much else. So questions!

1) Was my humidity settings through days 1-18 ok? I really wasn't sure what level I should go with, so I tried to average 50% but I did let it settle down into the 40's in the beginning and I also got up towards 60 when I would refill my water, but it usually went down after a little while.
2) I am currently sitting at 71% humidity...too high? Should I be worried? Will they drown?
3) If the eggs are no longer moving are they dead? Cause I was super excited to see those eggs rocking a bit.

I WANT TO SEE MY BABY CHICKS! Oh man, I rolled my eyes at some people freaking out about the hatching and the whole process....I GET IT NOW. I am really hoping for a somewhat successful hatch as this is my first one.

Thanks for any advice and encouragement in advance.

Congrats on your first time incubating! I hope you have a successful hatch!

Humidity is always a big point of contention... hard to get people to agree on that one... personally I love a strong 50% day 1-21. I often have staggered hatches and it keeps both developing and hatching chickens in good condition! If you do choose to keep a high humidity you should turn down the temp on the last day (today). High temp + high humidity has poorer results than lower temp + high humidity. If you can get it around 98 degrees that is about perfect.

Eggs will rock and take breaks. Some won't rock at all. Expect pips soon! What brewds do you have?

My hens are Miller's Brown Leghorns and our Rooster is what I call a mut. I have no idea what he is, but he is black and awesome lol. We are new to homesteading and have 10 hens and 1 rooster right now. So we are hoping to expand that flock a little and see what happens. I did try once before to hatch but the power went out for 8 hrs and it just didn't work out unfortunately, and it was in the first week so I am counting this one as my first hatch lol.

Back
Top Bottom