Newbie hello from Ottawa, ON, CAN

If your immediate neighbours are ok with it.... 🤫 Most bylaw enforcement is complaint driven, so if no one complains? I hear you about the egg song, I guess it depends on who hears, who cares, if it bothers anyone, and if there are any around that are the type that pick up the phone to complain as a hobby.

If you did get busted and played dumb, usually you are ordered to comply within x number of days, or action is taken, ie. a fine, so if you had a plan B to relocate your flock in case it came to that, you would at least have a shot at escaping punishment.

Don't listen to me though! Based on the totalitarian government we are under now, I simply don't care much about their "laws" anymore, lol.

Barring that, you could try to get the law changed (in your lifetime). :old

Welcome to BYC! 🤣🤣

What a shame, exactly! That’s why I’m so tempted to just ignore the bylaw and hope it all goes well and that I won’t be turned in. I know others in Ottawa are doing it. However met one person who had to rehome her hens because someone aside from her immediate neighbours ‘saw’ them.
It's risky. And heartbreaking if you have to rehome.
Quail? Have never considered. For eggs? Are they quieter than chickens?
Quail eggs sell for quite a lot. They are MUCH quieter than chickens and take up less space. You should research them
Welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

What a shame, exactly! That’s why I’m so tempted to just ignore the bylaw and hope it all goes well and that I won’t be turned in. I know others in Ottawa are doing it. However met one person who had to rehome her hens because someone aside from her immediate neighbours ‘saw’ them.

It's easy to get attached to a flock, it would really hurt to have to re-home one. And sometimes there are fines involved for going against the rules, so that's something to consider too.

Back
Top Bottom