Newbie, help purchasing chicks?

THANKS so much everyone!

I will definitely check out construction sites. There are always plenty of those around. That would be great ... I can afford the hardware I am sure.

And I'm glad to know that they can look out for themselves some, and might put themselves up at night. I can easily provide them with some cover around the yard. There is already a little house of some kind out there that I think used to be a pump house and it looks like someone used it for a doghouse. I can set up some other things out there too for them, since it is such a big yard and they can easily stray a ways from any one structure. There's some nice bush cover too.

Thanks, everyone, I really appreciate it. Now it's time to start working on all this ... I hope I can have it ready within a month or 6 weeks, so I can order the peeps. We're excited!

By then it should have warmed up a lot too. I can't believe it ... it's going to FREEZE tonight after being kinda warm for a while, but then again, we sometimes do have freezes into early March here.

Thanks!!!

Well my new chicks arrived this morning. Cackle sent 3 extras that did not make it. It took 3 days to get here in stead of the usual 2 so that was sad. the others seem to be doing fine. What a great day!!!

GoodEgg, I'm just wondering what hatchery you found that will ship only 3 chicks. Would you mind posting the link? Thanks!
cool.png

Last edited:
I purchase my chickens from feed stores. There are two where I live in California not far from where I live. The chicks have always done well and have looked fine sorry to hear about the feed store in your area. One has a large selection the other only carries three varieties. I also buy my feed from them and any additional items I might need and there is no minimum purchase they also have a guarantee on chicks. I do not feel comfortable having chicks mailed to me. Last year I bought 18 chicks, 17 hens & one rooster, 95% sexed right.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom